I am trying to grow produce in south Florida. I do not have much luck

+2
What should I not waste my time and money on?

• Reenaroc Reenaroc on Jan 04, 2018
    Wow, you should have a nice long growing season there. I would go to a reputable greenhouse and ask questions. They could tell you what grows the best in your area, what the soil needs are and how to care for which ever plants you choose. Good Luck.

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jan 04, 2018
    You need to get out and talk to some local gardeners. If there is a coop in your area, that would be a good place to start.

• Liz Liz on Jan 04, 2018
    Every state has a Cooperative Extension Service that gives free professional help in horticulture and agriculture questions by trained, PHD specialists and faculty members. They also have nutritionists and family and consumer science specialists who provide free information and booklets on food safety, safe food preservation, budgeting, and almost every subject you can think of. The horticulture & agriculture specialists will come out to your home, test your soil, give free advice. They also teach a wonderful "Master Gardening" course to adults and will help you sell your produce if you like. They teach the community about bee keeping, animal husbandry, preventing soil erosion, building better soil for growing crops, etc. If it's not the University of Florida, then check Florida State University. Good luck!!

• 27524803 27524803 on Jan 04, 2018
    The Farm bureau in your area can give you some good advice on what grows best in your area.... and the LOCAL nurseries will know what grows best... the problem may be the sandy soil, that needs amendments and the pests that eat the new plants. You might look into container gardening... more control over water, and soils.