Looking for ideas for a small outside 14 x 20 spot in front of house.

+7
Just moved into this mid 60’s ranch, took out large tree and cleared out overgrown, weed choked area and looking for ideas for this East facing area in front of my home.
q looking for ideas for a small outside 14 x 20 spot in front of house
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 20, 2017
    Location and preference for shrubs,flowers etc

• Joanne Menke Joanne Menke on Nov 20, 2017
    I was thinking of sitting area, flowering shrubs, things I can keep lower, perhaps hearty boxwood, mini fire bushes, not locked into anything, open to ideas. I am located in Rochester, NY.

• Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Nov 20, 2017
    Boxwood, lavender, iris. I would visit your local nurseries for ideas and definitely plant native plants in your area.

• Jeri Smith Jeri Smith on Nov 21, 2017
    Depends really on your lifestyle and desire for maintence. To me this screams a lot of things. If it were me I would do a fairy garden with water feature and incorporate a garden train. This could be quite a conversation starter.

• Jeri Smith Jeri Smith on Nov 21, 2017
    Another idea, depending on budget, and you arent trying to preserve the vintage look, would be to tear down the brick wall and add a pergola over decking. You could remove the picture window and replace it with french or sliding glass doors. This could really give the house facelift while adding outdoor living space.

• Linda Donovan Higgins Linda Donovan Higgins on Nov 21, 2017
    I’d love a wood deck with some small trees & various shrubs, including some small evergreens like Juniper for greening up the winter months, & a fire bowl or chiminea in the fall & winter, then change to a patio set with umbrella for the spring & summer.

• Barbara Pfister Barbara Pfister on Nov 21, 2017
    While I love wrought iron work, I 'd remove some of it, and make an accesss to the area. Put in a patio, and decorate with large pots with plantings, and a few pieces of furniture. Like a courtyard.

• Diana Brewer Diana Brewer on Nov 21, 2017
    I like Linda Donovan Higgins' idea.The evergreens for fall/winter can also be lighted for Christmas! They could be planted in the actual ground with the deck built around them,as can azaleas,oleanders and such that stay green yet flower.Oh,and camelias! Of course the choice is your's on plantings.The grow-through deck gives character and saves you from having to water so much.Good luck!

• Beth Beth on Nov 21, 2017
    Boy, I hate to say this, but it looks like it has fundamental problems. Quick questions: how wide is the walkway under the overhang? is the front door as awkward to use as it appears (stepping back, jockeying for position, etc), does the front door work well inside the house, or is it awkward there, too? Is the front door heavily used or not so much?
    A quick fix would be to level the area and plant grass and a linear hedge. Personally, I dislike that look, but, hey, that's the 60's for ya!