Why do my hostas get smallest in size as the years progress?

+2
Live in leafy Philadelphia area; clay soil; amend plants with potting soil when I plant them.
q why do my hostas get smallest in size as the years progress
2014 photo. Now, one third of this size. Others are close to house and have the same problem. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Alberta Coulter Alberta Coulter on Dec 23, 2017
    They may need to be divided if they are root bound. They also need fertilized in the spring. Osmocote is a good one. Has the shade gotten deeper? They may need more sun.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 23, 2017
    I agree with Alberta, but my first guess is that they are root bound. Try separating one of them to see if that makes a difference. Wishing you the best & Happy Holidays!

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 23, 2017
    I agree with both the suggestions above, they probably need to be split. If you have clay soil, amend it when you split them so they can get off to a good start again. I have noticed on the one corner that gets a bit of afternoon sun that those plants are a little smaller than the ones that get morning or no sun. Don't fertilize until you see they are starting to grow in case they go dormant for a short time and you don't want to burn the roots. Have a Great Holiday Season!

• Victor Victor on Dec 23, 2017
    I have the opposite problem. lol
    I have to divide mine every Spring because they get too big. I have numerous types all around the yard and they are all part sun, part shade.
    Is it possible yours are getting too much sun?

• Cindy Cindy on Dec 23, 2017
    Hi Patn, I love hostas. I, too, recommend splitting the plants. This is best done in Spring when they start peeking up out of the ground. Plant the new babies someplace else. (remember that they love shade.) Replant them and then wait before adding fertilizer. The process of splitting them will put the plant into shock. You don't want to over stress them. After a few weeks I would make a solution with one tablespoon of Epson Salt and a gallon of water. Sprinkle it on the dirt at the bottom of the plant. Then water real good. The extra water will help the roots receive the Salts. This process will add enzymes into your soil and you should see improvements this year. You can repeat this process every two weeks. This solution will also help other plants, trees and even veggie plants.