Sound barrier for country home

My country home just got noisy from a new nearby highway. I need a barrier for one bedroom window that I can still enjoy the view from. Can anyone suggest ???
  8 answers
  • Z Z on Sep 18, 2015
    We live in the country near a highway that's being widened so the sound of large equipment from sun up to almost sun down 7 days a week is the new norm. Personally it doesn't bother me as I consider it white noise. Our windows are double pane with argon gas fill, which reduces sound, but even when the windows are open, it's not like stop and go city traffic. Here's a link with some ideas that should help you. There are some that will allow you to still enjoy the view too. If you need sound barriers at night, here's info about sound blankets.

  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 18, 2015
    Try some clear insulation panel.

  • Jen Jen on Sep 18, 2015
    water feature

  • Kaytee Kaytee on Sep 19, 2015
    Replace your windows with double-pane glass. Also, hedges or other irregular surface barriers along your property line and/or between that and your window. (A solid/flat barrier like a board fence will just cause the noise to echo).

  • Jane Long Jane Long on Sep 19, 2015
    thank you everyone for your help! Lots of ideas here. Not sure which I will try.

  • Sue Sanders Sue Sanders on Sep 20, 2015
    The nursery catalogs have some fast growing tall trees that would make a good buffer. Wouldnt be immediate but catalog says grows 3 to 4 ft per year. If you put up something temporary while trees had a chance to grow for peace you could enjoy in 3 or 4 years.

  • Connie B Connie B on Sep 20, 2015
    Build a berm of dirt or a solid fence at least 2' high and landscape features. A good barrier has to be solid so that sound will bounce off of it. I landscaped and had a water feature....did not work for me. For this reason I moved a couple years ago......could not take traffic noise any longer.

  • Liz Straughn Liz Straughn on Sep 20, 2015
    Privacy fence, thick trees/bushes, and double-paned windows.