How to keep squirrels from eating my plants?

+2

How do I keep squirrels from eating my plants in the yard

• Susan Susan on Jul 14, 2018

Spray bottle with hot sauce and water. Don't spray bloom

• Sighle Kujawa Sighle Kujawa on Jul 14, 2018

I understand squirrels do not like the smell of moth balls. You can sprinkle mothballs around the bases of your plants to keep them away. You need to re-do this as the odor goes away, maybe every 3 weeks or so. Small pkgs. of mothballs are available at the Dollar Stores, or if your garden is extensive, yo may need to go to one of the "big box" stores. Watch for moth balls to be on sale in their flyers. They don't go bad as long as they are kept dry, so stock up when they are on sale.

• 16999903 16999903 on Jul 14, 2018

Try tablespoon of concentrated dish detergent mixed in water in a spray mist bottle and mist them first. This will be the safest and most gentle to the environment. If it doesn't work, increase the amount of detergent, before you go to stronger products.

Moth balls/chips do work, but if you have small children around, I would advise against it. My two grandsons collect pretty rocks, let alone putting things in their mouth....so we avoid them. Best of luck!!

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 14, 2018
    Hi Ali: You can make a mixture of 16 oz of water and a bottle of Oil of Clove or Clove Oil, same thing, in a spray bottle. Mix it well and spray it around your plants. It smells nice, but tastes horrible. It's non-toxic, so it won't hurt anything or any one. You can buy the oil at any candy making store or your local grocery store may carry it. It's about 2 inches tall and only costs a couple of bucks. Also, try feeding the squirrels in another area. Good luck!

• Judy Judy on Jul 15, 2018

LTry irish spring soap. Does wonders keeping the deer away