How to combat squirrels?

+1

I had many flower pots and hanging baskets in my backyard close to the fence line and in other spots of the yard. Last year squirrels literally took over all of them uprooting everything I planted, or planted acorns in them while wrecking them in every possible way. They also dig up the grass just to bury acorns and whatever else. They are very destructive and if I had a gun I'd use it!

• Deb K Deb K on Feb 02, 2019

Hi Merrykay try planting flowers that squirrels hate, Daffodils have a toxin that makes them inedible. Squirrels don’t like the taste of snowdrops, allium or hyacinth, so plant those spring bulbs as a deterrent.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Feb 02, 2019

Hi Merrykay,

Squirrels are a problem everywhere!!!

What I did for my plants was to place on top of the soil a barrier of shells, ceramic pieces, stones, broken up bricks... generally items they cannot dig up. This will help protect your plants at the ground level.

• Liz Liz on Feb 03, 2019

I stick plastic forks around in the planter, push the handle into the soil so the tines poke up. Occasionally there will be one that doesn't mind being poked in the eye, but on the whole it works.

• Linda Engel Linda Engel on Feb 09, 2019

I use Irish Spring soap, shredded up and sprinkled in my flower beds; and have had luck sprinkling red pepper flakes too.