Asked on Jun 15, 2017

How can I keep my porch from flooding when it rains?

by Julie
I live in an apartment. I am at the bottom of a hill. Wa covers my patio when it rains. This is just the beginning of it. Helpicon
  15 answers
  • Tracey Tracey on Jun 15, 2017

    you can make on the outside a little wall or slid to stop the water before it reach your patio

    • Em Em on Jan 16, 2021

      A wall out of what and this is an apartment not her property.

  • Susan Crosthwaite-Wright Susan Crosthwaite-Wright on Jun 15, 2017

    It looks like you need a linear drain running in front of the balcony, but I would think that is a job for your local council, our council did it in front of our garden walls when we were having to step over huge puddles to get through the gate. Or some sort of barrier. Also is the paving on the balcony draining in the right direction to take the water away rather than puddling? It doesn't look like it is.

    • Em Em on Jan 16, 2021

      Building owner should fix not tenant.

  • Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Jun 15, 2017

    1. Be sure your renter's insurance covers water damage/flood. 2. Talk to management about fixing the problem. Remind them if the apartment floods they will lose it's use while doing repairs that will cost a lot more than fixing the problem now.

    • See 1 previous
    • 7218805 7218805 on Jun 15, 2017

      If the landlord doesn't fix the problem, then they'll have an even bigger problem if the apartment floods! I'd remind them that they'd be avoiding a bigger cash outlay if they fix the problem in early stages!

  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 15, 2017

    Definitely definitely check your renter's insurance in addition to all of the above suggestions!

  • CecileH CecileH on Jun 15, 2017

    I agree with everyone that it is the responsibility of your landlord, however; depending on how long it takes for them to get it fixed could mean the loss of important items to you. If you have an edger, which you likely don't living in an apartment, ask friends that own houses if they have one. Along the cement edge of your patio/deck use the edger to remove at least two inches of soil away from the edge as well as in depth. This will make a trough for the water to go into instead of onto your patio/deck. You could make it a bit wider and find yourself some brick that they use to brick houses, laying them on their edge lengthwise place them in this trough to raise the barrier to 4". Good luck and hopefully they get onto it fast for you to save you the work!

  • Gary Stewart Gary Stewart on Jun 15, 2017

    I live in my own home but i got a sump pump with a float and buried it in a hole with bucket upside down with holes in it...and added a drain line to pump away from house...since then i have no has to be plugged up at all times...

    • Em Em on Jan 16, 2021

      Can't do in an apartment. Doesn't own, just rents.

  • Elaine Elaine on Jun 15, 2017

    This HAS to be dealt with asap by the Management of the building. Be sure to take, and keep, photographs of the flooding and make sure you put the date on the back of each photo.

  • Diane Martin Diane Martin on Jun 15, 2017

    Sand bags as a temporary fix. Definitely go to Management. keep notes on each time you contact them.

  • Me Me on Jun 15, 2017

    I hope you have a responsible landlord, water damage sometimes doesn't become apparent for a long time.

  • Bernadette Staal Bernadette Staal on Jun 15, 2017

    You certainly need to get a drain put along the external edge of your patio to take the water away from your porch and hopefully feed directly into a storm water drain. Alternatively build up the area by blocking the water with bricks or some other sort of trim. If correctly installed with concrete the water should hit the bricks / blocks or other product and flow past. I have to admit I have an issue with storm water coming into my garage but it is just one of those things.... the previous owner put in a sump that can not handle the quantity of water that collects in the space and as that was signed off by the council and it would cost thousands of dollars to fix I just raise my items off the ground with pallets. Your problem does however look much easier to fix.

  • Chrissy Chrissy on Jul 12, 2017

    Make a gutter wall to get the water to flow to the right.

    Maybe a small piece of a gutter atttached to the poles. That would lead the water away for now. Then get you hoa or managment involved.

  • Heather Barnard Heather Barnard on May 28, 2020

    Have the same issue but I'm downstairs. Told management but he apologized and said there's nothing he can do.

  • Em Em on Jan 16, 2021

    Take photos, make sure your renters insurance is updated, and check to see if you have a local board of enforcement. There are BOCA codes in all jurisdictions.

  • Sharon Sharon on Jul 01, 2021

    After you talk to the property manager about the flooding, I would follow up with a letter outlining your expectation they will promptly repair the problem and that any damages to your unit and property will be their liability. Send it registered and keep a copy.