What is an average cost for roofing

+3
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Jul 16, 2018

There are to many variables to answer this. Size of roof. How many pitches. How steep is the roof. Best to get 3 estimates. Pick the best one to fit your budget and the people you like beat. Make sure they are fully insured.

• Dfm Dfm on Jul 16, 2018

it depends on roofing materials and roof size, labor to do the job if you hire it out.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jul 16, 2018

It depends upon the area where you live and what type of roofing you want - tile, asphalt shingles ( they come in grades) tin. Get 3 bids from local roofers to see what it'll cost.

• Kim Kim on Jul 16, 2018

I just did mine 1050 square feet with replacing old wood. At least half of wood was replaced cost me over 7000 with 50 year shingle warranty

• Air24606600 Air24606600 on Jul 16, 2018

I had 2 local contractors give me bids; one $12K and other $7200. Same materials and specs. the first started at $8000 and said he "forgot" supply charges due to increases. Home Advisors suggested him. ???????

• Dmotan Dmotan on Jul 16, 2018

I don't let roofers use an air gun as the pressure is set too high. It makes the job go faster but the nails go right thru the shingles. And unless you babysit the job, you will not have a good end product.

Ask how they prepare for the job prior to getting on the roof. The neater the trucks look, the better the job. Do they use a magnet to pick up stray nails. Do they need to take off original roof, is there already more than one layer of shingles on the roof. Does the cost include their disposing of the previous shingles. If rot is there, what do they charge per sheet of plywood to replace rot? Yes, indeed, are they insured. Be sure they have a porta potty delivered. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way.

My roof was hand hammered and during Hurricane Isabel, not one shingle came off. My neighbors had shingles flying everywhere.