How to restore a vintage trunk?

I have an old trunk. How do I restore it to get to musky smell out of it? It does have the old wallpaper in it.

• Sue Sue on Feb 04, 2019

I suppose take the wallpaper off, or you might try soaking 1 or 2 paper towels in pure vanilla and really saturate those. Then put those paper towels, and the little bowl that you soaked them in, in the trunk and let that sit with lip on tight for a week or more. I read this in a Dear Heloise article years ago and it really work on a smoke damaged armoire that I bought.

• If you have a Dollar Tree close by, pick up a few of these: https://www.dollartree.com/the-home-store-moisture-eliminators-98oz/144947

I use them all the time for closets and thrift store furniture drawers that have the musty smell. It absorbs the odors along with any moisture trapped inside from being in storage. It may take a few days but they work. Dollar General also sells them for a buck in our area.

• Stacy Stacy on Feb 04, 2019

I do have and I will be picking that up!! Thank you

• Janice Janice on Feb 04, 2019

Clean the trunk as well as possible with soap and water without damaging the interior. Then place charcoal briquettes (not with lighter fluid added, as some are) and let those sit in the trunk with the lid closed. In a day or so, remove the charcoal and see if the musty order is gone. Also, set the trunk out in the fresh air with the lid open. You want to get rid of the odor, not just cover it up. Baking soda could also help to absorb the odor.