What clear coat do I put on a painted bird house for outside?

+6
  • Patty Patty on Sep 22, 2016
    We use outdoor polyurethane. Be sure not to paint the inside of the house.

• Brenda Pippin Brenda Pippin on Sep 22, 2016
    polyurethane

• Lori Haught Harper Lori Haught Harper on Sep 22, 2016
    General Finishes Exterior 450, comes in Satin or Semi-gloss. Seals and protects outdoor projects. You can buy it at Woodcraft. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/148383/exter...

• Kathleen Kathleen on Sep 22, 2016
    There is a product called Helmsman that is a polyurethane specifically for the outdoors. It is used on watercraft, so stands up to the elements

• Bobbie B Bobbie B on Sep 22, 2016
    The problem is that the birds dont care for the smell so they wont use it.

• Susan Franks Susan Franks on Sep 24, 2016
    If you are going to clear coat it don't use an oil based polyurethane. Birds will not go near it. Find a good Latex(water based) exterior clear coat. It is just as good or better than the oil based. Oil based will yellow the paint you have already used.

• Ljgordon Ljgordon on Sep 25, 2016
    I saw a program about 4 days ago on making bird houses. The bird EXPERT stated specifically NOT to paint bird houses. Some birds will not come anywhere close to a house that has been painted. None of mine are painted.

• See 1 previous
    • Pam K Pam K on Jul 06, 2019

I make handcrafted birdhouses and many are painted, birds nest in all of them. I have bluebirds and wrens in my personal painted houses outside now. I just make sure everything is non-toxic.