Best way to remove paint from brushes?

+9

How to clean paint brushes and get rid of all the paint?

• Judy Sideb Judy Sideb on May 02, 2020

You can go to any store that sells paint, brushes, etc. You should find a white plastic bottle about a quart labeled "brush cleaner". I have a bad habit of setting down my artist brushes wet with paint thinking I'll only be gone a minute. Of course that never happens and when I do return it is to find my brush stiff. I'm sorry I don't have the name but I'm mid move and have no idea where it is. I get it at Wal-Mart.

• Mogie Mogie on May 02, 2020

Latex paint on a brush can be cleaned with water.

Paint thinner for oil based.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 02, 2020

I clean my latex brushes with warm water in the sink. Oil based paints I use mineral spirits or turpentine, then wash with hot soapy water.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on May 03, 2020

Hi there Lupe, it depends on the type of paint. If it's water based (acrylic, latex, most chalk paints; milk paint, Unicorn SPiT) water works best. If it's oil based (oil paint, enamel) then you need thinners.

• For oil based paint, thinners works great. Soap and water for water based paint. For dried on paint I heat up vinegar in the microwave and soak the brushes.

• Em Em on May 03, 2020

Klean-Strip 1 qt. Brush Cleaner-QBC12C - The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com › Klean-Strip-1-qt-Brush-Cleaner...

Rating: 3.8 - ‎43 reviews - ‎$7.98

Brush Cleaner removes latex and oil-based paints, lacquer and more. It also restores hardened brushes to like-new condition.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 03, 2020

Hello Lupe,

Use brush restorer or white spirit if gloss or satin finish paint. Use water and washing up liquid for matt, emulsion,milk or chalk paint. HOPE THAT HELPS.

• It depends on what’s going on — wet paint and which type or if you’re trying to remove dried paint and what type. Your best answer might be from someone at the paint department.

• Betsy Betsy on May 03, 2020

Hi Lupe: If it's fresh paint, just put it under warm water, squirt some dish soap on it and then use a comb or hair brush and comb and brush it until it's clean. If it's older paint, put it in a plastic bag full of cheap liquid fabric softener, close it up as best as you can and leave it over night or until it gets soft. Then clean as above. Good luck

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 04, 2020

Water for latex, mineral spirits for oil based. If you have a brush that has paint dried in it, you can soak in mineral spirits. You can also try vinegar.

• Maura White Maura White on May 07, 2020

I always leave my brush wrapped in wet paper towels and put in a sealed plastic bag if I'm going to use again in the near future with the same color. If its oil based paint, you can try turpentine. Otherwise, I'd just buy a new brush.