Can I use chalk paint over spray paint

+7
I want to paint a cupboard that has been spray painted purple with a winter white chalk paint I would like some ideas thanks
q can i use chalk paint over spray paint
How do I begin
  • Carolyn Carman Pearl Carolyn Carman Pearl on Aug 31, 2017
    Yes you can paint chalk paint over regular paint. Just a little sanding to rough up the surface and be sure to wipe it down with tack cloth to remove the dust.

• Gracie Gracie on Aug 31, 2017
    that's the beauty of chalk paint. It goes over pretty much anything

• Dmotan Dmotan on Sep 01, 2017
    If the previous spray paint is petroleum base, please talk with your paint store about a primer as latex based paint will not stick to petroleum based paint. Don't want to see you go through all this work and then see it start to peel.

• See 1 previous
    • Ericka Ericka on Sep 04, 2017
      As a professional painter, I have had no problems with latex paint sticking to petroleum based paints. Always make sure you sand previously painted items before adding a new paint.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Sep 01, 2017
    Yes, I have used Dixie Belle Paint and LOVE it! Their claim to fame - no prep work, just paint it. Here is a link for you to check it out if you like. http://www.dixiebellepaintcompany.com?aff=9

• LibraryKAT LibraryKAT on Sep 01, 2017
    Probably good idea to prime things first and make sure the layer of spray paint is well adhered.

• Karen Karen on Sep 01, 2017
    Not to worry, you can prime right over your existing coat of paint (both paint on andspray primers), then keep painting when your primer is dry. I typically do two coats of primer on bleeders, but every once in a while you'll have a piece that needs more.Jun 29, 2015

• Rebecca Rebecca on Sep 05, 2017
    I havn't used the dixie Bell brand mentioned above, made my own chalk paint but totally agree that is the beauty of chalk paint no priming or prep other than making sure your piece is clean. My kitchen cabinets took two coats of paint before sealing.