How to achieve what I want in a small project

Our surplus store occasionally has paint stirrers on sale for very little. We always buy them but can never think of a project except to stir paint! This time though I have thought of one. The stirrers are 14" long. I want to use them to transfer the doorway height markings we have made of our two grandchildren, onto; so each child can have their own and in a very manageable way. To do this I want to fasten the appropriate # of paint stirrers together so they are hinged. Like old fashioned wooden tape measures were if any of you can remember seeing one of those. I know there have to be holes drilled and some kind of a fastener to hold each stirrer to its: "predecessor" and "follower". These not only have to be hinged but with a sort of flat connector that will allow for a neat folding appearance. Hope this is not too confusing.

  7 answers
  • I know exactly what you mean and still have one of those folding measuring tape / sticks. A good hardware store will have what you will need to make one.

    Pinterest has hundreds of paint stick projects. Or you can just Google "paint stick projects" and follow the links! Have fun and happy crafting!

  • Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Oct 12, 2017
    I would check in the hardware section of your local home center or hardware store. I am sure they sell some sort of small hinge that could be attached to make this work. Make sure to explain to them what you are trying to do because the stirrers will need to fold completely over when closed.

  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Oct 12, 2017
    Go to your local home improvement store and tell them what you want to do, and that you need some kind of grommet fitting to put in the wood and some kind of smooth little post to fasten each two pieces together. They should be able to help you find what you need to put this together. I wouldn't go with string, or any kind of cord as it may break or stretch and it wouldn't be accurate. I hope this helps, it is a great project to save for the grandkids to have when they are older, and may do this for their kids, too!

  • FL FL on Oct 12, 2017
    Just for fun, one of my favorite paint stirrer projects:

  • Nancy Wilson Nancy Wilson on Oct 12, 2017
    I use paper fasteners.....if you've ever made a cardboard puppet they are like buttons on top with two metal wings that go through the holes and are folded back, but allow the puppet to move. They are available in office supply store and WalMart or craft stores. I've included a link so you can see what I mean. Look closely at the limbs on the puppets and you will see the way they are applied to the project ....... you do the same with your paint stirrers. I made paper fans in this manner too.

  • Emily Emily on Oct 12, 2017
    Thanks all who answered me. We have a hardware store within walking distance. I'll ask them but I have not had good luck in the past trying to explain my ideas to them. Maybe I'll take the folding measuring tape with me. Actually maybe I should look at it first. That flag is pretty cute Fletcher. Would look good on my front porch with all its flags!

  • Emily Emily on Oct 12, 2017
    Thanks Nancy, as a matter of fact I think I have a box of them around somewhere. We take about anything from our town swap shop we may find useful and I think this is one of those things. Forgot I had them!