Mixing paint question

+3
I have 4 one gallon cans of white exterior latex paint. 2 of them are Valspar Storm Coat, 1 is Valspar DuraMax, and the 4th one is Behr Premium Plus. I want to paint a cinder block storage building. Would it be ok to mix these cans of paint together in a 5 gallon bucket and use it as the primer coat on the building?

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 13, 2017
    Hi Kitty as long as they are all white exterior latex paint and you mix them REALLY WELL, you should be good to go!

• No. Short answer. You need a primer formulated for the surface you will be painting. Chances are it will bubble or peel in the short term if you do this without the proper primer. Head over to a real, stand alone paint store to learn about using the proper paint for your project.

• Amanda Amanda on Dec 13, 2017
    Hi Kitty. You can mix them together to use as a paint but not for a primer. There purposes are different. The primer helps the paint stick better. This is not a step you want to skip for a outdoors project.

• Ann Cassler Ann Cassler on Dec 13, 2017
    I would ask at Lowe's paint dept. Also, if you wanted to add color, I think they would do that.

• Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Dec 13, 2017
    Primer is a lot thinner to help absorb into the material your going to paint to give the paint a better sticking surface! Using paint wouldn’t give you that obsorbtion your needing and your paint would likely peel!
    There are paints made with primer mixed into the paint you could probably use! But I suggest going to a retail paint store and go by their directions! Their usually trained to help customers to get the right product!

• William William on Dec 13, 2017
    You can mix the paint and use it as a finish coat but not a primer. It would just peel off over time. Primer has more paint solids in it to seal a surface for paint.