Can I paint my old vinyl coated paneling in my home?

+2
the paneling was installed in 1969
  • Just Retired Just Retired on Jun 20, 2017
    Yes you can, but you don't say if it's on the outside or inside. If on the outside power wash it very well and then paint it with a quality latex paint. If it's on the inside, you will want to wash it well, then sand it a bit to roughen up the surface and then paint over it with a quality paint.

• Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on Jun 20, 2017
    This link talks about how to do it, as long as you do a little bit of sanding and use a good primer (I have heard Zilsser 123 and Rustoleum Transitions are good ones), then painting will work fine:

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 20, 2017
    I agree with Dysko7710. It should be cleaned, sanded a bit and then primed before painting. This will help the paint stick. Also talk to the people in the store where you buy the paint to see what they recommend. I've also heard that Zilsser 123 is very good. I haven't heard much about Rustoleum Transitions but the Rustoleum name has a good reputation. You got this!

HTH

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 20, 2017
    You sure can!