Can the hinges of an inside door be painted ?

+1
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Jul 13, 2018

I would clean them and then use a good quality spray paint for metal. After 2 coats and 2 day dry time, spray with a clear coat poly. We did this on all the hinges, knobs and screws in our camper.

• Dee Dee on Jul 13, 2018
    Yes I have spray painted all my hinges. The secret is to use a primer. I used Rustoleum auto primer. I also used Rustoleum spray paint. I used to have ugly brass hinges. Not any more. You can also buy spray auto paint from the automotive store. Secret.... Get a peace of cardboard, put your screws in it and paint them too. The screws do not have to be primed. Paint one side of the hinge let dry completely. Then paint the other side. I let mine dry for a few days. Oh before painting, make sure they are clean, if there is any paint on them, boil the hinges let the water cool and take a scrubby paint will come right off.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 14, 2018

Good tip from Dee about how to best get the screws painted. It's faster than holding them with a tweezers and dabbing paint on them with a Q-tip.

• Twyla J Boyer Twyla J Boyer on Jul 18, 2018

Yes. In fact, I tend to paint them the same color as the door frame using the same paint. Just make sure you use a primer first (if they are bare metal). And open and close the door a few times while the paint is drying so they don't get stuck. Hinges don't get scrapes or bumped much, so you really don't need to go all out and paint them like you would something that gets wear and tear (like a door knob or drawer pull). Mine aren't as well done as those mentioned by Ann or Dee, but I've never had them get ugly and I don't even take the doors down to paint them. The hinges and screws get painted right in place.