How to paint bamboo furniture?

+2
I have a whole living room set of 1950's bamboo furniture that I'd like to paint.
Any suggestions?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 19, 2017
    In my opinion I would not paint bamboo.You will be taking the beauty out of the wood.

• Bobbie Bobbie on Jun 19, 2017
    I had a bamboo/rattan dining set. I loved it but it got kinda boring.. So I primed it well and then spray painted it giving it several thin coats and then gave it a couple coats of varnish.. It then sat on our patio for a couple seasons..

• Cindy Holmes Cindy Holmes on Jun 19, 2017
    If you must paint... wash well with an non residue cleaner, dry, sand to make the surface more receptive to paint, spray with a good primer in several light coats, then using the spray paint of your choice, spray with several light coats, allow the paint to dry between coats, with the primer too. Good Luck.

• Pamela Nelson Pamela Nelson on Jun 19, 2017
    Make EXTRA sure that you want to paint it. Then use light colors.

• Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on Jun 19, 2017
    If you decide not to paint you could just update it with modern cushions and pillows. If you do paint, you'd probably have to spray paint, first use a primer - either brushed on or a spray paint primer, then spray on the color you want.