Painting issue

+3
Paint peeled off wall in pretty large areas, can I skim coat to make up the difference? Hubby wants to put up 1/4" plywood, yuk. My thought is either skim coat or 1/4" dry wall, the sheets would butt into the corner so no issue with levels matching. Thoughts ?

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jan 02, 2018
    Hi Cathy, I personally would try to skim coat it first, feathering on both the good painted side and the side where the paint came off. I'd also be sure to use a primer before repainting. I hope the rest of your paint stays on. Wishing you the best

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Jan 02, 2018
    If the areas are too deep to successfully skim coat then dry wall would probably be the best way to go. Good luck with it.

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 02, 2018
    I would want to know why paint peeled off? did you use latex over old oil-based paint? is there too much moisture? solve those problems first. I would give a light sand and prime with Zinsseer 123 acrylic bonding primer.

• Jean G Jean G on Jan 02, 2018
    Peeling paint can be an indication that the original paint was an oil based paint

• V Smith V Smith on Jan 02, 2018
    If you have ancient plaster walls sometimes you can get your paint to stick better if you use a good primer. If this happened over drywall, you need to find out why. If you know that you don't have a moisture problem on the other side or inside of that wall, then decide how many times you are willing to repaint the wall. Skim coat is fastest and cheapest, but drywall will give you brand new walls.

• Emily Emily on Jan 02, 2018
    You should be able to use latex over oil (but not the other way around) so I agree with Sharon that you first want to know why the paint did peel. You don't want moisture building up on the wall under dry wall. That would create mold.