What type of paint do I use for a hanging glass pendant?

+1

In my kitchen there is a hanging glass pendant that I want to paint. Any idea what type of paint will stick to glass?

• Everything Pretty Everything Pretty on Feb 05, 2019

You can use acrylic or enamel. I've even used nail polish on glass for small areas.

• Jeanne Martin Jeanne Martin on Feb 05, 2019

I just bought a set of 8 tubes of glass paint from Amazon for around $10. Just search for glass paint and every type & color will come up! I don't like an opaque (solid) color on glass, especially light shades. It needs to have a bit of transparency to it so light shines thru a little. Use glass paint for that.

• Betsy Betsy on Feb 05, 2019

Hi Debra: Acrylic Enamel Paint. Acrylic enamel paints are easy to use and usually do not require heat to set. They are water based, so they dry quickly and harden to create a glossy finish. Brands like FolkArt enamel paint are usable on both glass and ceramic and are dishwasher safe once cured.

First, wash the glass thoroughly in warm, soapy water to remove dirt, dust, and grease film. Next, rinse the glass in warm water and let dry completely. Dampen a paper towel with rubbing alcohol or white vinegar and wipe the stemware to ensure it is clean of any remaining soap film. Set aside for 15 minutes to air-dry.

All Sharpie permanent makers will write on glass. However, to create a more permanent design use Oil-Based Sharpie Paint Markers. The paint makers are specially designed to write on glass, pottery, ceramic, wood, and more! You can remove Sharpie Paint Markers from glass if you make a mistake or just want a new design. Ink from permanent markers can be difficult to remove from many surfaces. Glass, thankfully, is not one of them! You can easily remove permanent marker ink from a glass surface with WD-40, rubbing alcohol, or acetone-based nail polish remover.

Good luck.

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Feb 05, 2019

if you want the light to shine thru be sure to get a 'transparent' paint ... https://www.krylon.com/products/stained-glass-paint/ if you don't need a lot, or you want to use more than one color -- any hobby shop will have 'stained glass' paint in small bottles.

Other wise, any acrylic or enamel will work;

be sure to wipe down the fixture with denatured alcohol to remove ANY grease film that may have accumulated over the years .