I am looking for a thermal shade of some sorts to put over a sliding glass door that will greatly reduce heat transfer.

This can either be something for the interior, or exterior (or both).
  5 answers
  • Becky H Becky H on Mar 26, 2012
    I bought 2 such shades last year. They were made by Koolaroo, and we've been very pleased with them. Home Depot carried them in stock.

  • KMS Woodworks KMS Woodworks on Mar 28, 2012
    Blocking the sun is the biggest concern...think solar collector. In our wintery clime...we do double duty with cellular blinds in our slider locations. We drop these in the winter at night to help with the coolness. In the summer we can use them to control solar gain. If you want to use the doors for ventilation, then more of mini blind will be needed. When the winds blow with these blinds down and doors open they tend to get pushed around a lot.

  • Ella Ella on Feb 08, 2015
    I am going to try my hand at making a roman blinds for mine. I also purchased sun control window film that you adhere directly to the window. (cheap from princess auto) my this will give you some ideas

    • B. Enne B. Enne on Jul 02, 2015
      Hi @Ella the sun film you bought from P.A., is it a static cling type, and is it tinted or highly reflective, or just clear UV protection? Do you remember the brand name? I have been looking at different brands for a while, but didn't see it at P.A. Thanks!

  • Ella Ella on Jul 05, 2015
    the one i purchased is brand "comfort plus" sun control film it comes in different widths 24inches by 15 feet #FSK215 48inches by 15 feet FSK415 I think they were 1/2 price the 24" one was $9.99 Hope this was helpful. I still havn't put mine on yet because I think it would be better with 2 people, this one has a mirror finish on the outside for extra privacy. I might put this on the RV windows also my son said to follow the instructions and it is easy. Good Luck

  • Ella Ella on Jul 05, 2015
    This brand was from Princess Auto so you can ask them when they have sales etc.