Asked on Jun 30, 2014

Can you convert a ceiling hugger fan to a downrod fan???

by Tandi
I bought ceiling hugger fans for my new house and ended up making some changes and now I need downrod fans. Is it possible to make them downrod fans??
  5 answers
  • Pat Helmer Pat Helmer on Jun 30, 2014
    I believe you can just by an extension rod for it. They come in several sizes to a few inches to a couple of feet. Look in the fan department at Lowe's or Home Depot.
  • Tandi Tandi on Jun 30, 2014
    Thankyou soooo much!!!1
  • you may not have enough wire to extend since you have ceiling hugger fans. I know when I took my fan down to spray paint and clean it had just enough wire for me to hook up.
  • Lori Vrchota Lori Vrchota on Jun 30, 2014
    Yes, you can purchase a extension rod for the ceiling fan from any home store: Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
  • The ability to convert the fan will depend upon the brand and style you purchased. Some hugger fans simply are not designed to be placed on end of rod. Some are. Your first thing you need to do, is to check out the fan model and go to the manufactures site to see if that same fan comes in a down rod version. They have 1-800 help lines that can answer this question for you in a flash. The wiring and all needs to be changed as well as its not just as simple as you would think to extend them properly.