How do I keep the grout from cracking?

Shansmow
by Shansmow
+4
When I had the house re-modeled I had granite counter top placed with tiled back splash. Not long after installation I noted sanded grout cracked an missing. I contacted the tile guy to fix the problem was informed this problem will always occur because the kitchen is on the back of the house (which faces west) and the expansion/contraction of the wall will cause the sanded grout to crack. Since then I've added a sun room on the back of the house so it doesn't get that sun and heat that it got before but this still continues to happen. Any suggestions? Thanks!
q how do i keep the grout from cracking
q how do i keep the grout from cracking
  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Jul 10, 2017
    Make sure its completely dry before sealing and then seal really well. Its not someplace that should shift a lot from being walked on, so its probably water getting into it and making it crack

• Red20081062 Red20081062 on Jul 10, 2017
    Was the grout thoroughly sealed? I'd dig out the bad grout, regrout it yourself (you can do it!) and seal it, then seal again the next day. Don't let any water splash on the tiles until a couple days. I've never heard of the theory about the west facing grout cracking, unless you didn't have a bit of insulation!

• Karen Karen on Jul 10, 2017
    my brother-in-law uses chaulk

• William William on Jul 10, 2017
    Caulk should have been used in the corner where the countertop meets the wall not grout... ALWAYS! The wall moves differently than the countertop. Grout will always crack in corners.

• B. Enne B. Enne on Jul 10, 2017
      Scrape the remainder out and caulk it. My tile installer did the same thing, and the grout cracked right away. I then found out that caulk should have been used...He should have known that!

• Susan Susan on Jul 10, 2017
    Cracking in new grout is due to bad mixing of ingredients. Too much of one thing or another, according to the Home Adviser. No mention was made of heat. Besides, it seems to me if heat caused grout to crack and fall out bathroom tile wouldn't last very long

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jul 10, 2017
    Your tile guy is wrong and lazy . The above comments are correct .