How do you get brown water to stop coming out of steam iron?

+1
  • Oliva Oliva on Aug 13, 2018

Clean the iron with vinegar. When done using the iron, invert it, and pour all remaining water out of reservoir. Be sure to hit the steam button several times. When clean, use only distilled water in the iron, if the rust has neen a recurrent problem.

• You need to clean the iron. I only use distilled water in my iron and empty out after each use. Follow manufacturers recommendations. Or, here is a site with fantastic cleaning instructions.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-clean-an-iron-2146972

• Shuganne Shuganne on Aug 13, 2018

As crazy as it sounds, my iron said to use tap water, not purified water. It didn't say why, but it was easier than having to remember to stock up on it at the store, so I did it. I had dry white crud coming out of my steam vents. I'm assuming it was excess salt and calcium from my very hard water and the softener. Vinegar worked to clean it out but, oh my, what a mess. I held the iron level over the sink and it spat out tons of gunk. So do this over paper towels to avoid cleaning out the sink.

I'll bet your iron is the opposite of mine and really needs purified water. It's next to the baby things in most stores. Before you waste bottled water, put vinegar in the steamer to clean it out. (Yes, I know hot vinegar stinks to high heaven.) You can also try CLR or a product made just for gunky irons. (That's a technical term. Ask anybody.)  Good luck, Jo Ann, and let us know how it goes!

• MEG MEG on Aug 13, 2018

You need to drain dirty water out of iron by turning iron upside down and shake it. Then flush with clean water/vinegar and flush out. Don't store iron with used water. After each use drain the water out and add fresh water when in use.