How to fix a KitchenAid stand mixer rusted under the bowl


My 35 year old mixer is in great shape except the base beneath the bowl. As the photo shows, the enamel is bubbled and chipped off. I’ve been googling but mostly found links on how to paint the entire mixer, and it doesn’t need that.

So I decided to ask the Hometalk community what you would use. Thanks in advance! (Photo in comments, it didn’t upload first try)

  12 answers
  • Patty Patty on Jul 31, 2020

    I would ask about a replacement part.

  • Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jul 31, 2020

    Sorry I don’t see the picture. Can you strip and repaint only this part?

    It may need Naval jelly if it’s too rusty.

  • Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Jul 31, 2020

    Maybe try to replace the piece

  • Lauren of Mom Home Guide Lauren of Mom Home Guide on Jul 31, 2020

    This is an expensive option, I am sure, but you can ship your mixer to KitchenAid to be repaired. Or, you can just use the phone number on the Kitchenaid site to ask them for advice on what to do.

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Jul 31, 2020

    I would contact manufacturer for replacement

  • Contact Kitchenaid and explain it to them. Ask them what to do or what they can do.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jul 31, 2020

    Hello Emily,

    Try, WD-40 to remove the rust, then wash, dry and then seal the underside with a little nail varnish or enamel paint. Good luck!

  • Patty Patty on Jul 31, 2020

    Well, I do not see my comment, so posting again. I would see if it can be replaced. If KitchenAid no longer has parts, check ebay or do a general search on Google.

    • Flipturn Flipturn on Aug 01, 2020

      Hi Patty,

      Your first comment is indeed showing.

      If you cannot immediately see your comment that you thought you just posted, try doing one of these:

      1/Click the Page Refresh icon

      2/Mouse over your initial, click on your name, then click on the blue letters that say DIY Questions.

      The last question that you answered, or commented on, should be showing first on your screen.

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Aug 01, 2020

    Hello. I would call Kitchen Aid and ask for their professional advice for cleaning vs replacement options available.

  • I would talk to KitchenAid.

  • Betsy Betsy on Aug 02, 2020

    Hi Emily: Clean off the rusty bits, you can use a Brillo pad, Chore Boy or a rust remover like L.A.'s Totally Awsome Rust Remover from the dollar tree, and clean it off really good rinse and let dry. Then, seal it with an enamel paint to match. If it's an area that sits on the counter, maybe put some rubber feet on it so the paint won't chip off. I have my mom's old Dormeyer Mix Master and it had a few rust marks on it and this is what I did. Good luck

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 13, 2021

    WD-40 or maybe Lemon Juice or even Barkeeper friend or Wire wool with w/up liquid. or Brillo Pad.