Microwave making noise?


I thought i carefully melted in a container a small amount of grease, but now when I warm up something it sounds like grease is still in it and like it want to spark after washing an wiping out numerous of times. Wondering should I replace the microwave?

  10 answers
  • Nan W. Nan W. on Jul 26, 2020

    Dorene: Wiping out may not be enough. You should thoroughly clean the microwave interior with a degreaser!!

  • Yikes! If it isn't an expensive microwave you could just replace it. I know ours is mounted in our kitchen, so I would probably have someone out to look at it first. The only thing I worry about is it being a fire hazard with it sounding like it wants to spark. Safety first, always!

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Jul 26, 2020

    my expensive microwave did this and the repair bill was more than it would be to replace it so we bought a cheaper microwave and installed it over the stove like the old one- the sensors and mother boards go bad in them so most of the time just replace it to be safe...good luck

  • Betsy Betsy on Jul 26, 2020

    Hi Dorene: Do you think that grease got into the little holes that are on the side? If so, you may be able to clean that out. First, unplug your microwave and there should be some screws on the back that you can undo to remove the case. Once you do that, look to see if there is grease on the fan or anything you can see. If so, clean that off with a paper towel that has been sprayed with a grease remover or Dawn and warm water. Don't have the towel dripping wet, just sort of more than moist. You don't want water dripping on anything in there. Then, put it back together and give it a try. Good luck

  • Dee Dee on Jul 26, 2020

    For the inside of the microwave, fill a bowl with water and add three to four tablespoons of vinegar. Then, run the microwave for two to three minutes so that the vinegar solution boils, softening the tough grease and stains. After you've heated up the water, wipe the inside of the microwave with a damp towel.

  • Maura White Maura White on Jul 26, 2020

    I think Betsy's idea sounds wise!

    • Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 26, 2020

      Yes, as long as you think that you will be able to get it back together again, it is worth a go!

  • Em Em on Jul 26, 2020

    There is a cover called wave guide cover over the magnetron which conveys or guides the heat waves to the central area where food is kept. Wave guide cover also prevents any food particle or bug from entering the magnetron. see attached picture

    A small metal piece is enough to cause a spark inside your microwave. For example you may have cleaned the microwave with steel wool and left behind some metal scrap from the wool. Also sometime the food which you heat has a foil covering over it that catches fire. If your heating dish is not microwave safe, there are fair chances of sparking. So make sure that there is no metal scrap and your heating dish is microwave safe before you start cooking food in your microwave.

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 26, 2020

    If none of the above cleaning suggestions solve the problem, then don't waste your time or money trying to get someone to come to 'repair' it. If the grease has permeated inside some of the tiny spaces, then it won't be able to be fixed with any mechanical or electrical intervention.

    From the perspective of safety, a new microwave will need to be purchased.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jul 27, 2020

    Do a microwave clean like this:

    1 cup vinegar

    1 cup water

    Wooden spoon

    You can add a couple of drops of lemon essential oils if the vinegar scent is too strong.

    Please in a microwave safe bowl. Spoon is to prevent overheating. Turn on for 5 minutes. Sit for 2 minutes. Remove with mitt. Wipe clean.

    If it still persists with the sounds, replace.

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Apr 30, 2021

    is it broken?