How to patch a wall beneath a window

it's 20"x36" and the plaster is falling off and the rest is stained from water that leaked down under the window from the a/c

  4 answers
  • Ken Ken on Dec 27, 2017
    This is a fairly straightforward job. You need to remove all of the plaster gone bad and replace it with a piece of drywall the same size. Mud, tape, sand, paint. Of course it is not as simple as it sounds and there are tools, materials, and skills that you will need to acquire. If you asked me to come fix it that is what I would do.

    Find some way to keep water from running down the wall. You are damaging the structure of your home.

    • Dianne Dianne on Dec 27, 2017
      Thank you Ken - it does sound a little extensive for a little old lady - the a/c was removed after this happened and the area is dry - do you think I could substitute foamcore poster board in that area and paint over it. I think I could handle that!

  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 27, 2017
    If the room is dry wall, you can cut out all the bad parts, and cut a new piece of dry wall for patching. You will need large drywall pieces. It will be like fitting a puzzle. You might need furring strips behind it and of course, patching mesh and patching compound. Below is a step by step tutorial on how to do it from beginning to end. Wishing you the best & Happy New Year.

    If it's real plaster, I've never done that. :( However, here is an article to get you started.

  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 27, 2017
    Hi Dianne, peal/pull off anything that is no longer attached and clean the area up, making sure everything that is left is solid etc. Then cover it all with sheetrock mud and let it dry fully. Do several coats, sanding between coats, and you should be good to go!

  • Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Dec 27, 2017
    This is a job for a carpenter, call one.