Asked on Nov 28, 2017

How to remove 'fake' command strips from walls?

by Vondie
These are not Command strips, but similar. Two are on a wall & one is on a maple door. How can I remove them without tearing up the wall/door? Thanks!

  7 answers
  • Ken Ken on Nov 28, 2017

    I think what you are describing is just a hook with double stick tape since what defines a "command strip" is the ability to pull a tab and have it release.

    Use a piece of fishing line like a saw. Back and forth motion cuts through the adhesive tape. WD-40, Goo Gone, or similar solvent will dissolve the remaining adhesive. Might take some persistence because you need to work it under the tape remnant to get at the adhesive.

    When you finally accomplish your task you will realize why people spend on the overpriced "Command Strips". The others are a pain to remove.

    • Vondie Vondie on Nov 30, 2017

      Thanks Ken. I like the great idea of using fishing line! I have plenty around and use it for so many things besides fishing. I'd have never thought of your idea! So happy I asked. Former tenants put these cheap little 'hook' in on bathroom wall & maple-wood door, too.

      How to best repair the gash left on the wall when it appears one hook was 'pulled' off ( stripping paint and all else with it ). Thanks!

  • Kim Kim on Nov 28, 2017

    Use a widget (razor blade scraper) to remove as much as you can and then wash off glue residue with WD-40 or Goof Off.


  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 28, 2017

    Rub the adhesive strip with a dab of oil to loosen it

  • Ruby Ruby on Nov 28, 2017

    You can try heating it with a blow dryer or heat gun if you have one, and it should come off fairly easy, the heat melts the glue an "WaLa"" hope this helps! It's what the carlots use to remove stickers from cars to keep from messing up the paint!!

  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Nov 29, 2017

    WD40 works to loosen it- just use it in small doses so it doesn't get too greasy- good luck!

  • Vondie Vondie on Nov 30, 2017

    A BIG Thanks for the helpful answers! A former renter I had applied the little 'hooks' with the awful cement-like 'glue' strips to bathroom walls and the maple-wood door, too.  One hook was removed from wall and it took paint and all else with it.

    So I have another question: how to repair the wall? I'd say about 1/16th an inch deep gash & approx. 2 in. long & 3 in. wide. What's the best way to 'fill' it in? I can't just paint over it as it is now.

    Thanks again!

  • Ken Ken on Nov 30, 2017

    Assuming that you have drywall, this is a pretty easy repair. You need something called drywall joint compound or spackle and a "taping knife" about 3" wide. Guy at the hardware store will know what they have. Remove any loose pieces from the wall and spread this stuff in. Don't heap it up, try to keep even with the rest of the wall. Shrinks as it dries so you'll need to spread it on 2 or 3 times and let dry for a day each time. Use a sanding sponge to sand smooth then repaint. You may find that you even like doing this. Oh, and I have done a lot of this drywall repair stuff. Don't worry if it takes a couple of cycles of filling and sanding. Sometimes mine take as many as 6 to get everything looking good. Pros never more than 3. But I work cheaper.