Sound proofing question

The insulation is not very good in my house. My bedroom backs up to the kitchen so when someone is in the kitchen I can hear everythin. If they open a drawer or a cabinet door it sounds like a thud when it is closed. I even hear the ice drop in the refrigerato. Is there a way to put sound proofing on my bedroom wall, (that is not ugly to)sound proof it?

  4 answers
  • Bijous Bijous on Dec 16, 2017
    1. Use insulation foam board and another layer of drywall. This will reduce your room size by no more than 1 3/4 inches.
    2. Frame wall with 2x4s, use insulation foam board, staple batting on it (used for quilts) and attach velvet or other heavy cloth to the 2/x4s. Mask staples with furniture tacks or ribbon.
  • Ken Ken on Dec 16, 2017
    My bedroom is not coupled to the kitchen and I can hear the ice drop too.

    The problem here is basic construction of the house. Having a common wall between kitchen and bedroom the structure of the house is transmitting the sound. I've seen construction methods where you are almost building two separate walls to keep from transmitting sound through the wood but unless there is enough room to add a couple of inches to the wall thickness in your bedroom and you are up for removing the drywall on the entire wall and building and insulating another, there isn't a lot that you can do.

  • William William on Dec 16, 2017
    Most interior walls are not insulated in basic construction.. Just framing and drywall. If there is an outlet on the wall removing the cover and checking with a flashlight if it is insulated. I would guess not. When I was a builder only exterior walls were insulated for obvious reasons. You can remove the drywall on one side of the wall, insulate the wall, and replace the drywall. For sound deadening I would use foam board rather than fiberglass. It's solid and would prevent sound transmission.

  • 27524803 27524803 on Dec 16, 2017
    You can put in a "blown in" insulation (goes in between the studs) and then put in a sound proofing dry wall over the whole wall... then just prime and paint.