Wallpaper is screaming to come down.

+3
Hello,
I just love your projects! I cannot remember if I seen this yet or maybe missed it. What is the best way to remove wallpaper that has been up for over 15+years.
Thanks,
Carla

q wallpaper is screaming to come down
  • Ken Ken on Dec 26, 2017
    You can try wetting the wallpaper with a sponge, allowing it to rest a few minutes, then see how difficult it is to pull down. If this does not work well, rental places nearly all have wallpaper steamers. It is a specialized tool made to do exactly what you are doing.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 26, 2017
    https://www.hometalk.com/diy/decorate/walls/best-way-to-remove-wallpaper-3370217

• Joan Joan on Dec 26, 2017
    This worked in my house where the paper was about 20 years old. Spray bottle and hot water is all you need. Spray about three panels of wallpaper with HOT water, let it set for 30 minutes and repeat this 3 times total (spray and wait 30 minutes, etc.) Then tear the paper from the bottom up in short jerks. If it starts to tear, scrape up the edges with your fingernail and continue to tear in short jerks from the bottom up.

The glue will be left on your walls. Using a broom (an old one) dipped in a bucket of hot water, sweep off the glue. The broom will be shot after this. Once the glue is removed, wash the walls down in soapy hot water.

It takes time to do this so plan in advance, but it costs nothing but time. I did 3 rooms of wallpaper this way.

Give it a try and let me know how it comes out.

DO NOT use one of those wallpaper scorers. It will do nothing but create more work for you and then you'll have to rent a steamer.

• 62q10370829 62q10370829 on Dec 26, 2017
    Spray with 1/2 & 1/2 fabric softener & water.
    Slice wall paper lightly then spray & let set a few minutes & scrape off. It worked for me. When done wash with vinegar & water 1/2 & 1/2. Good luck

• Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Dec 26, 2017
    I have not done this in years but used to lightly score the paper’s top layer with a utility blade and then sprayed with warm water and white vinegar. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and start removing with a scraper.

• Carla Jones Carla Jones on Dec 26, 2017
    Thank you all for your help