What does it mean if I am seeing cracks in my drywall?

+2
Just moved into an older home 1978. It was panted prior to placing on the market. But now I am seeing a few drywall cracks above the doors in the hallway.
Should I worry about foundation issues?

• 1978 home is young! Where is your home located? Are you in earthquake country? There are a number of reasons this could be occurring. Check out this link:

Was a home inspection performed prior to purchase? If so what did it say? Were you provided with a home warranty when you purchased the property? If so, now is the time to use it. Use the link as a checklist - hire only licensed professionals. If in CA here is a link to the CSLB which has helpful tips for hiring contractors and check their licenses.

Keep us posted!

• William William on Dec 22, 2017
    Probably not. Great advice from Naomie. More likely house is settling. Happens over time. I would patch the cracks using drywall mesh tape and drywall patching compound. If they come back then I would consult a professional. Don't patch without using the tape or it will fail and the cracks will show.

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Dec 22, 2017
    It probably means your home is settling. That is pretty normal unless the cracks are really large. If you are concerned, you can get a contractor to check it out and make sure there are no major issues.

• Judy Judy on Dec 22, 2017
    This usually tells you the house is settleing.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 22, 2017
    Drywall cracks are not always from foundation settlement. Sometimes the whole house can shake in a wind storm, especially the second or third floors, which can cause the drywall to shift side to side. In your case the house is old enough that foundation settlement has already occurred. I would patch the walls and repaint - most likely you will be fine.