How to open a stuck Maglite flashlight?

+8

hi i have 2 aluminum maglite flashlights i cannot remove the bottom ends to change batteries they are locked solid any suggestions i thank you in advance

• Karin Karin on Jun 18, 2018
    You might try squirting a small amount of WD-40 along the seam. We used to do this to get stacked metal garbage cans apart to sell at a hardware store where I worked.

• WD40 should loosen it and a pair of channel locks or pliers should do the trick.

• 27524803 27524803 on Jun 18, 2018
    Chances are the batteries have leaked and corroded the metals together... try the WD-40... but you may not be able to clean out the battery compartment well enough to save the flash light ( we tried to save one of ours... and we did.... but... the new LED flash lights are a lot brighter.... that we really don't use the Maglite at all.

• Humpy Humpy on Jun 18, 2018
    will try wd40 though it seems unlikely thank you all

• Missy Burch Missy Burch on Jun 18, 2018
    Agree with WD 40. It works for stuff like this.

• Sandy Sandy on Jun 18, 2018
    the batteries are probably corroded I'd call the maglite mfg.

• Gingersnap Gingersnap on Jul 24, 2020

I've tried everything WD40 a thicker oil two vice grips 10 people it will not come off there's no corrosion or anything I just can't get the end of it off it's like froze

I've even tried tapping the end of it on concrete it's froze somebody told me gasoline is that true

• Gingersnap Gingersnap on Jul 24, 2020

How do I unscrew the end of my flashlight it's frozen I've tried everything WD40 thicker oil vice grips everything will gasoline help

• Pat Pat on Jul 24, 2020

Wow, sounds like you have tried everything. I Just googled "Changing batteries in a Maglite flashlight". Sounds like you are trying to do it the right way...Some put the flashlight in a vise and turned it. Some gave up and bought a new one. Good luck.

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Dec 05, 2020

Try warming the case with a hair dryer to see if the metal expansion will loosen it.