Asked on Mar 08, 2017

Any suggestions on how to raise the height of chair legs? Thank you!!

Brenda
by Brenda
+22
  • Brenda Brenda on Mar 08, 2017
    We have come up with a few ideas that might work but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced this dilemma. The chairs were a gift and look really nice with dining table but are 1 1/2 to 2" too low for seating.

• William William on Mar 08, 2017
    Other that replacing the legs, adding /raising seat cushions, or adding casters, anything else would make the chairs unstable.....http://www.ehow.com/how_6310801_make-chairs-taller.html

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Mar 13, 2017
      Yup, I agree with William. Anything you do to the legs could compromise the stability. Cushions are the best way to go. You can even make your own, it's not hard! Good luck.

• Brenda Brenda on Mar 08, 2017
    We are thinking about screwing in wood blocks and then plastic or rubber "socks" over top. Do you think that would be unstable?

• William William on Mar 08, 2017
    Using risers, blocks that go under furniture legs, could present a falling hazard. While risers may be stable enough under a sofa or bed, a chair on risers could tip or fall over. A fall could cause severe injury.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Mar 09, 2017
    I think the safer route to go is to add higher seat cushions. A high-density foam cushion wrapped in cotton batting offers firmness to aid in rising from the chair and a layer of softness on the surface for comfort. Best of luck!!

• Brenda Brenda on Mar 09, 2017
    Thanks guys. This is so unfortunate because they are beautiful leather chairs and they are like sloped all around and we had already ruled out being able to put chair pads on them. Back to the drawing board :-)

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 13, 2017
    Well, maybe you can get them reupholstered and have the padding made higher.

• Brenda Brenda on Mar 14, 2017
      Thanks Pung61. I gave these chairs to my daughter because she really couldn't afford 6 new ones so we were looking for the most economical way to fix the problem. Reupholstering them would probably cost as much as buying new at least in our area. Thanks for thought.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 14, 2017
    Not a problem. Maybe you could do the reupholstering, it's not that hard and it really is fun:)

• Brenda Brenda on Mar 14, 2017
      Now there's an idea. I've done a bit myself. It could be a great project for the two of us. The leather is brown and she wanted to go fun colours for her new house. We might be able to do that with your idea. I'm out of town for a few days but will see what she thinks when I get back. Thanks again!

• Hi. Is there any way of lowering the actual table legs perhaps?

• Brenda Brenda on Mar 15, 2017
      It is a trestle table and the bottom is cast iron. No way to lower it. That would have been the easy way :-)

• Virginia Virginia on Mar 15, 2017
    I would ad casters for height and mobility. So much easier to clean the foor after meals...well maybe not needed sfter every meal ...if conc er rned about unscheduled chair movement with children or anyone, you could get castors with locks for two of each of the chairs.

• See 1 previous
    • LH LH on Dec 29, 2020

It's probably too late but you can buy rubber casters that do not mar hardwood, they are expensive (about $10-12 each) but absolutely do not hurt any flooring. I have used them for years on my wood floors

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 15, 2017
    And, if you have a fabric store near, you can get remnants to practice on. If you need that dust thing on the bottom, I think it's to keep dust out of whatever is under there, (hate to get technical on you there, sorry:) HA!) I get that landscaping fabric from the dollar store. Same stuff, cheaper:) Good luck and happy bonding with your daughter.

• Brenda Brenda on Mar 15, 2017
      Thanks Pung61. Will be shopping for material. Fingers crossed.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 16, 2017
    I'm sure you'll do great. Let me know how it goes. Just be sure you have enough fabric to raise the seat to the height you want. The people at the store should be able to assist you, they're usually pretty good at these things. And, you can check Pinterest, they have loads of ideas.

• Virginia Virginia on Mar 16, 2017
    I think thete are castors made of wood-floor- friendly materials. A wood flooring specialist would be anle to advise depending on the hardness og the flooring wood.

• Brenda Brenda on Mar 16, 2017
      We are going to check that out. That seems the easiest solution. My daughter nixed the reupholstering idea.

• Sharon Lambirth Sharon Lambirth on Mar 22, 2017
    they sell these things that nail or screw into the bottom of the legs that are then adjustable, for leveling furniture. I searched leveling glides on Amazon and came up with a bunch.

• Brenda Brenda on Mar 24, 2017
      Thanks Sharon. I looked them up and I think that's the way we're going to go.