Asked on Jan 25, 2016

Broken supports in glider rocker chair

Cindi Copeland
by Cindi Copeland
I've got an old glider rocker that my husband gave me when our first child was born almost 29 years ago. It has four rubber supports under the cushion which are now drying out and breaking. Any suggestions on how to repair this? I'd prefer something permanent so this doesn't happen again. Thanks!
  11 answers
  • Funnygirl Funnygirl on Jan 26, 2016
    If you want something permanent,take it to a hardware store.ask then to cut a piece of luan to fit the center.then pad the top with foam and staple a new fabric over the seat
  • Sandy Sandy on Jan 26, 2016
    I rebuilt a loveseat with lawn chair webbing. Crisscrossed in a lawnchair web fashion and secured it on the ends. It has the give of the original supports, but is very sturdy. I did that repair over twenty years ago. That particular loveseat is in my son's living room and being used as their couch for the past five years, until the remodeling is done and they can buy new furniture.
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Jan 26, 2016
    I agree lawn chair strapping would be a good replacement (if you need the springy-ness factor) or simply put a plank down ,under or on top or insert, and cushion it. (It isn't something you will see anyway.
  • MN Mom MN Mom on Jan 26, 2016
    Hi Cindi You should be able to purchase upholstery webbing at a fabric store such as JoAnn Fabrics or Hancock fabrics. This is the product you would use to replace the strapping in your chair. It's fairly simple to mend, just follow what is already there as your pattern. I would replace or reinforce all four straps just to be sure you're starting out with the best and strongest foundation. There are many tutorials online if you wish to watch a pro in action. Best wishes on your project!
    • See 1 previous
    • MN Mom MN Mom on Jan 26, 2016
      Good to hear! Best wishes on refinishing your chair!
  • Art Art on Jan 26, 2016
    I will go along with Barbara S.-use upholstery webbing and you can use any type of cushion you want. You will want to use a "webbing stretcher"---also available at Joanns--and it should be easy to find instructions on how to install on the internet.
  • Dianne Dianne on Jan 26, 2016
    I would replace the straps with a piece of wood cut to size and nailed in.
  • Folkert B Folkert B on Jan 26, 2016
    Buy a couple of bicycle intertubes, Cut to length and attach. D ouble if it is too soft. Replace top cover if stiil serviceable.
  • JB JB on Jan 26, 2016
    If it is a Tell City rocker (like I have), you can get replacement straps. Their straps have a metal on the ends of the strap that goes in the groove front and back. Worth checking out.
  • Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Nov 19, 2017

    Furniture seat webbing. I saw some in Joann's recently.

  • Frida Frida on Mar 13, 2020

    HI. I hope you were able to figure out the cushion support. That's they issue I have now. What kind of end is on the straps? I found a potentially beautiful glider at the transfer station and would love to restore it. Thanks in advance for any help. Frida

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 15, 2021

    Hello there,

    You could use Timber Laths or Timber and Wire mesh and then cover that with a thick fabric to protect the cushion from damage or Replace the Rubber (Parelli) Strapping. or use Fabric Upholstery Strapping. Best wishes.