Asked on Apr 26, 2014

Chunk taken out of a leg on a table any way to fix this (dog)?

nice table I'm refinishing but a chunk of wood taken from leg, looks like maybe a dog chewed on it, anyway to fix it? will wood filler work?
  11 answers
  • can you provide a photo so we can get a better idea of what the leg looks like? There are dozens of methods to restore a damaged wooden leg, but need to see it first.
  • Evelyn McMullen Evelyn McMullen on Apr 27, 2014
    chunk taken out of top part of my hutch, also looking for suggestions
  • Grandmaquilts Grandmaquilts on Apr 27, 2014
    Bondo. Product used by auto body shops to fill spots. I've seen it used on ornamental columns chewed by squirrels. Would probably have to be painted over. Don't think it would stain very well.
    • Nancy Flemming Nancy Flemming on Feb 07, 2017

      My husband was in the autobdoy industry, and we used a product commonly known as cat hair a mix of bondo and fibreglass to repair a wooden project I was restoring, you are right it had to be painted and looked great. Also gave strength to the piece.

  • Karin From B'ham Karin From B'ham on Apr 27, 2014
    Please do provide photos). If leg is structurally sound, there's almost certainly a way to fix it!
    • Martha Martha on Jun 29, 2020

      Training your dog is the only long-term solution, OP.

      I love my dog so much but it constantly did the things that irked me most. It would chew on things that it shouldn’t or jump up and down out of the blue. Whenever I put on the leash, it would pull on it. Whenever it was out of the house, it would continue digging on the ground - I wish I could tell what it was looking for down there. All the things it did left me feeling depressed as if I failed it monumentally.

      But since I discovered Brain Training for Dogs and applied the system offered, it now behaves the way a beautiful dog I always expect of.

  • Vicki Pemberton Vicki Pemberton on Apr 27, 2014
    Depending on how big it is you could use a wood filler. I'd like to see the damage first.
  • Sherrie Sherrie on Apr 28, 2014
    When I bought this table their dog had eaten the end of the table. I used Bondo to fix it.
  • Sheri Sheri on Apr 28, 2014
    Absolutely! Go to your local Lowes/Home Depot. There are several products available. Bindi and Epoxy both have good products. They are two-part that mix together and apply to the damaged area. Allow to set, then sand and shape as desired.
  • Catherine Catherine on Feb 07, 2017

    Well bought in at Garage sale wood piece attachment that holds leg with wood and screws wood rottedd 3x3 piece can I use a steel replacement one?

  • Tin19592866 Tin19592866 on Feb 15, 2017

    We've used a product called Rock Hard (from Home Depot or Lowe's or other hardware store) with success. It's a powder that you mix with water to make a paste. Fill in whatever, smooth it out and it dries..... wait for it..... rock hard.  Then you can sand and paint it. (It's a yellowish tan color)

  • Isabelle Isabelle on Feb 24, 2017

    Someone was throwing out this chair. It had a lot of detail that was broken on both front legs. I used woodfiller and added a tad bit of water to make a dough and molded to the chair. Then sanded it. I made the beads and even the foot that had a big chunk out of it. I don't know how old the chair is but I have had it for 14ys.

  • Deb K Deb K on Aug 09, 2023

    Hello, bondo or hardening air dry clay, it is moldable and you can paint it.