Asked on Jan 26, 2017

How do you fill in screw holes in a fiberglass tub/shower?

Cindy Arnevik
by Cindy Arnevik
I want to remove the skiding glass doors on my tub/shower combination to make it more handicap accessible for my husband and allow me to use a transfer chair. How do I fill the screw holes where the door was matched to the surround? Thanks!!
  8 answers
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 26, 2017

    How about fill them in with the screws that used to attach them and then decorate the screw head to make it festive instead of awkward?

    • Cindy Arnevik Cindy Arnevik on Jan 26, 2017

      My goodness. Simple idea never thought of that assumed there was some filler people had used but this seems much easier. Thanks

  • Tea12191659 Tea12191659 on Jan 27, 2017

    there is a fiberglass fill kit at the hardware stores made especially for that. We used it and you can't see where the hole was.

    • See 1 previous
    • Tea12191659 Tea12191659 on Feb 01, 2017

      I want to say it was called fiberglass fill kit or something like that, and I got it at Home Depot or Menards?? I will ask my husband if he remembers.

  • Cindy Arnevik Cindy Arnevik on Jan 27, 2017

    Do yoi know what the brand name is?

  • Ruth Ruth on Feb 03, 2017

    Several years ago I removed the sliding glass doors from our fiberglass tub/shower. I found small white plastic plugs in the shelving department at Menard's that fit perfectly & looked great. I worked at Menard's but I'm sure Home Depot/Lowe's would have something similar.

  • Bernice H Bernice H on Feb 05, 2017

    hmmm we just used silicone caulking..dabbed it in.

  • Pam Pam on Feb 11, 2017
    Find a locally-owned hardware store and patronize them. They are very helpful in answering questions and will have what you need. However, I agree with the person who said they used fiberglass filler. I wouldn't use silicone caulk because it will get wet (and eventually wash out) when your husband exits the tub.
  • Cindy Arnevik Cindy Arnevik on Feb 11, 2017

    thanks to all. Now I just need to get at it

  • Mike Mike on Nov 03, 2019

    Fiberglass filler is right next to the auto body bonds at your local auto store.