How to fix holes in a old laminate countertop besides using bondo?

by Dha9306203
Purchased a cabin off the grid with a less than stellar countertop. Don't want to replace it just yet but would like to fill in the missing bits and resurface the counter, perhaps with contact paper. I am not very handy and will have to use hand tools to do any repairs needed.
  5 answers
  • Bobbie Bobbie on Sep 23, 2017

    Check to see if you have a local Habitat Restore store. These stores sell used or leftover housing materials and donate the money to Habitat for Humanity. You might find a gently used countertop for a few bucks. You also might try craigslist or local online used sales stuff.

    • Dha9306203 Dha9306203 on Sep 23, 2017

      Hi Bobby, already all over this idea. I am the share shack queen and love to shop at second hand stores. Habitat for Humanity store is on the agenda every time I go to 'town'.

  • Big lulu Big lulu on Sep 23, 2017

    You need to be careful since water can get under the places where there's a break or a cut in the surface. That will be a moldy mess.

  • Sharon Sharon on Sep 23, 2017

    You could rip that one piece of laminate completely out behind the faucet, and visit a laminate store and have them cut a piece to replace it. You use contact cement. Don't want it to continue to get wet cause that particle board will swell and create a real mess.

    or you could get some 2 part epoxy and tint to match and do a pour on that spot to fill in. Epoxy is self-leveling. Use wide tape underneath cabinet to keep from leaking, like duct tape. Use painters tape on the wood trim. Use a blow torch to get the bubbles out.

  • B. Enne B. Enne on Sep 23, 2017

    Contact paper won't stay on if it is damaged. Fix and paint it. Even Krylon Fusion paint will work if you are not looking for a fancy finish.

    You can cut out an insert and put tile or a cutting board too.

  • Lisa Lisa on Sep 23, 2017

    If you are going to cover it anyway, you can use an extra piece of formica and cut it to fit in your area of need and glue it in place. Possibly them sand it a little and fill in the edges with a good caulk type fill. (Possible wood type filla s it is sandable and then you can cover it with contact paper! Should be fairly cheap (I mean cost appropriate) too!