How to repair painted peeling countertops?

Patty
by Patty
Can this problem be repaired or do I need to replace existing countertops with new ones?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 26, 2017

First you need to explain what you did

• Patty Patty on Feb 27, 2017

The counters were painted prior to my purchasing the house so I do not know what type of paint was used, I've done nothing yet. It could be oil-based as it is kinda sticky when things are put on it.

• Jim Maag Jim Maag on Feb 27, 2017

If they are flat maybe they could be covered with ceramic or stone tiles and grouted. The sink would have to be pulled and reset. Somewhat inexpensive idea.

• Jeanne Pinto Jeanne Pinto on Feb 27, 2017

I can absolutely recommend Gianni Granite paint kits. They transformed my ancient countertops with beautiful results.

• See 1 previous
    • San97371112 San97371112 on Jan 21, 2024

My counter was painted w / Counter Top paint w/ Gloss and it's flaky and I can remove sum just with my finger nail...Please Help before it becomes my whole counter,Thank You

• Lynda Dexter Lynda Dexter on Mar 02, 2017

I have this exact problem and I am in the midst of repairing now. I first bought some Citristrip. (can be found at most hardware stores) I love this product. It strips all the paint off with a nice citrus smell no harsh chemical smell and it worked. I have also bought the Giani Countertop kit. It should arrive today. I have used this in the past with our old house and it worked GREAT! Good luck with your project.

• See 1 previous
    • Holly A Ellard Holly A Ellard on Aug 11, 2019

We redone my countertops with Giani countertop kit Actually mine my daughters & her friend's & all 3 are peeling off ,& we applied a extra coat of the clear top coat. They also are sticky feeling. This product is not good after they started peeling i read review after review of the same problems

• What are the counters made of under the paint? It could be that they weren’t prepped properly hence the peeling. I’d peel off as much as possible by hand if it comes off easily then depending on what’s under, either strip or sand. Or, save yourself a lot of headaches and replace them if you can.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 22, 2024

I would not bother with stripping! You can have a company come in and over lay your counter tops. or maybe tile over them.

• Mogie Mogie on Jan 22, 2024

What was the original counter made of? Could you post a picture so we can see how bad the peeling is?