I have an oval dinning room table with gouges in it...Can it be fixed?

My oval dr table has big and long gouges in it, I don't know how it got that way, maybe taking the leaves in and out. It is also 52trs old!! Can it be repaired? And can I paint it like a farm table even though it's oval ?

  3 answers
  • You can do whatever pleases you! There are no hard and fast rules that say a "farmhouse" table has to be a square, rectangle, round . . .

    Personally I like dings, scrapes and dents, shows love, history and gives the piece character. I would keep them and just paint it to your desired color (s).

    If it really bothers you, wood filler or putty can be used to fill in the gouges then sanded smooth, then wash, prime and paint.

    Decide on whether you are using a traditional paint or a chalk paint, which requires less prep work.

  • JudyH JudyH on Jul 14, 2018

    Embrace the gorges! Add some more distressing by hitting the table top with a chain, hammer, meat tendered - whatever you can find! Then chalk paint it. Lightly sand the edges and seal.

  • JudyH JudyH on Jul 14, 2018

    Sorry - meat tenderizer kitchen tool.