Asked on Oct 01, 2015

Installing drawers in a stainless steel prep table

Jane Brody
by Jane Brody
I want to put rolling drawers in my stainless steel restaurant style prep table. Any ideas? I currently use baskets but they are a big mess!
  13 answers
  • Z Z on Oct 01, 2015
    Do you have the drawers made already and just need to know how to add the wheels? Or are you looking for rolling drawers?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Oct 01, 2015
    Closet maid has a lot of products available for that . If you have a Home Depot by you Go to the closet organization aisle where you will find many different solutions.
  • Jane Brody Jane Brody on Oct 01, 2015
    No, we are just looking four how to do it. I want rolling drawers.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Oct 02, 2015
    I am thinking what you want to do is attach some sort of "rails" to your table so you can put drawers underneath the top. I don't know how you could do this on Stainless Steel. The only thing I can think of is to go back to the manufacturer and see if they make attachments.
  • Lauren365 Lauren365 on Oct 02, 2015
    Look around your town for a local metalshop. The should be able to spot weld (or at least rivet nicely) the rails onto the table. I don't believe any adhesive would work for the along-haul, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to use bolts and nuts!
  • Jane Brody Jane Brody on Oct 02, 2015
    Thanks, so far, my husband has said that he could make a cage of sorts, and fit it into the space. But I think the 'rails' might be better.
  • Amy Dietz Amy Dietz on Oct 02, 2015
    Yay! FINALLY something I can answer with 100% confidence!! I sold commercial restaurant equipment and supplies for over 20 years ( only thing I've ever done professionally realy). YES, you do need rails. Your best and easiest solution is to order them from a supplier. I worked at Central Restaurant Products for years ( not to be confused with "central products"!). They work on very low margin ( mark up). You can find them in the web, located in Indianapolis indiana, they sell and ship nationwide & sell to the public at same prices as a business. You will need to know the overall length of table and the width ( front to back) before you call. They sell as sets with rails and drawer. There are two types, friction slide ( less expensive) and ball bearing gliding slides ( best but you pay for that). They also offer all stainless steel drawer and face or galvanized. If you look them up, ask for Mike Kern & tell him I sent you there! 😊. Promise I haven't worked there in over 4 years & get no benefit from referring anyone. Good luck.
  • Jane Brody Jane Brody on Oct 02, 2015
    Wow! Thanks! I will look for them!
  • Nana moving on Nana moving on on Mar 12, 2016
    I bought one with an adjustable bottom shelf. I ordered a little chest of drawers from Ikea that will fit on the shelf. It's unfinished so I can paint it to match my other cabinets
  • Deb K Deb K on Aug 09, 2023

    Hi Jane have you thought of putting cube storage under the table?

    you can get different sizes.

    You can also think about picking up some pedestal drawers like they use on desks lateral style

  • Janice Janice on Aug 10, 2023

    In my area (AZ) there are many companies who advertise side-out drawers they will build to the size of your lower cabinets. I would think there might be online stores as well thas would be able to make them for you if you provide the number of drawers you want to place in your rolling metal cart. There are also ready-made drawers available ast most home improvement stores, though they would already be sized and possibly might not fit exactly as you need.

  • Aja Warnock Aja Warnock on Nov 03, 2023

    I am looking to add pull-out wire drawers to my stainless tables as well. I cannot seem to find the kind that I need which has the pole mount attachment. I have looked extensively and I can find the drawers but they only have a screw mount, not a pole mount; and I can find a pole mount pull-out shelf, but not a drawer.