Two part epoxy didn't cure in areas

+6
It's a routed channel with stones..on a door turned table. I put two part epoxy in the channel only to. Give it a water/ river effect. It travels around the entire table. I went by the strict directions. Some areas did not fully cure and are tacky. Not sure I have many options as it is not on wood but inside the routed channel that is filled with blue stones. I fear the soft areas would have to be dug out and then reapply
q two part epoxy didn t cure in areas
My 1920s door converted to table😀
  • Jean-Louis Boers Jean-Louis Boers on Jan 06, 2018
    This can happen when the two part epoxy is not mixed well enough. Before digging it out, you can try to apply a thin coat of the part B (activator part) over the area and it *may* kick off on you.

• Hope Hope on Jan 07, 2018
    Hi John. Apologies for not providing an answer to your question. I pulled up your question because I am interested in trying out some 'epoxy' projects in the future and wanted to see what kinds of issues people are experiencing with it (and hopefully the fixes to those issues) before I try it out.

Also, I want to let you know that your table looks like it turned out really neat. I'd love to see a complete picture of it.

Best of Luck!

• John Hughes John Hughes on Jan 07, 2018
    The outside and inside wood has 4 coats of Spar Clear gloss.sanded between coats. The channel is the epoxy.

• See 2 previous
      Thank you. I have been in the painting business for 38 years. Usually we are using two part epoxies on areas like garages. I'm thinking the ratio to hardener was not exactly right. After 10 days, some areas are still tacky

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 07, 2018
    From what I've watched YouTube videos on people make live edge tables with rivers in them,,,, they pour the epoxy in small batches to let each one dry before they put in another coat. And don't forget to flame off those bubbles with a brazing torch or even hot hair dryer keeping it moving quickly til they pop.

• Clök Concept Clök Concept on Jan 08, 2018
    Have you tried to just... clean it? I get that it might sounds weird, but I use a lot of epoxy and, sometimes, when it's still sticky, I use Lysol wet wipes on it and it's okay. Otherwise, if this doesn't work, I think you should consider putting epoxy all over the door/table. Personally, I love Varathan Table and Bar finish... Really easy to get professional results with this product!

• Bridgette Camacho Bridgette Camacho on Jan 11, 2018
    I epoxy tumblers all the time! our online community experiences this a lot. Mix smaller batches, use exact measurements of A and B parts. Do mot weigh, you must use fluid measurements. Your solution is to just apply another coat! it will harden as it should over the tacky areas.