How can I cut back on water seepage into a fieldstone foundation?

+1
My home is >100 years. The basement walls are fieldstone and is very hard to mortise. I need suggestions! Thanks

• Ken Ken on Jan 10, 2018
    Mortise? The only way to keep surface water from coming through a foundation is to drain it away. You do this either by sloping the dirt away from the foundation of by digging and installing drainage around the base of the foundation.

• Rose Rose on Jan 10, 2018
    answer this Home talker's
    Had this problem, first do what you can outside to keep water draining away from house. To actually fix requires huge excavation and drain in stall. Use the mortar bag like you put frosting on a cake with and a trowel to smooth after. Be sure the rocks are moist as you go spray with spray bottle. Tack up plastic over the work so it will dry slowly, and hold to the wall. Worked OK for us but had to keep eye on and repair. Good luck

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 11, 2018
    First you need to make sure any water is flowing away from your foundation. This is the most important thing to be done as it will wear away and crumble the mortar. No matter how many times you patch the morter you have not resolved the underlying issue. You may need to dig the dirt away form the foundation and apply a waterproof mastic if it is needed. After that is done, there is a waterproof spray that can be sprayed on the flagstone. With a house that old, I'd get the opinion of a couple contractors.

• Teri Teri on Jan 11, 2018
    hi, I had the same problem on my home in Georgia. Did all the sloping of the soil even called in a few contractors who just scratched their heads. I ended up digging a trench all the way around my house then putting a sealer after of course fixing any damage. After everything was done and dried I then put the soil back of course slopping it away from the foundation. I also planted some shrubs to also help get any moisture in the soil. I never had another problem. This might get costly being it helps with equipment but I had some then also had some wonderful friends. Good luck