How do I apply a Primer on a flat roof?

+3
  • Chicabunny Chicabunny on Dec 26, 2017
    Roll it but not in the heat of the day

• Jacx Jacx on Dec 26, 2017
    If you have a leaking roof you need to get it reffone professionally. Ours leaked for years! Finally i found a system, it's called a Brylian Torch On. Basically it's a big rubber panel. The panels are melted together to make one large panel. This is then ONLT TACKED AT THE EDGES OF THE COVING. Then a mineral cap is poured on to this to reflect heat and keep it anchored. Once done, perfection! Never leaked again in over 16 yrs. It was developed for commercial use.

• Chris Keating-Ingelse Chris Keating-Ingelse on Dec 27, 2017
    We used to own a flat roofed mobile home. My husband would climb up there every couple of years to reseal the surface, using a bucket of tar (doesn't have to be heated, but you should do this while it's warm) and a push broom to spread it around. Be prepared to buy a new push broom every time you reseal the roof, however!

• Jacx Jacx on Dec 27, 2017
    What i forgot to add is this: paint won't make a difference. If it is the standard mineral cap roof, the cracks need to be sealed w melted tar. Doing this is very dangerous as it's hot. The problem is your roof expands and contracts all the time. Once roofing nails are put into the ply on the roof the holes grow w the constant sift, opening up holes and gaps for water. We had 2 regular roofs done, plus tar every year! Nothing worked until we got the Brylian. If the roof isn't designed to carry off standing water, they leak. We looked to get a slope added but since we had an upper and lower, it was cheaper to do a better roof. I had to learn all of this to understand what was needed.
    Also, you can call your capital to get current up grades on the license of any contractors. In Cali it's super easy to go out of business and reopen w a different name. It was amazing how many had revoked licenses! Get at least 3 people who have had work done, call them and GO SEE THEM! I get a bit annal about stuff, was shocked at what i found. Also, try Angies List. It's serious money, do your homework!
    It was so funny how many men wouldn't deal w me unless my husband was present. That was 1986. Good luck!