The nails inside my attics have frost and ice.

+2
Just bought this house a few months ago. The nails in my attic have frost and ice on them. There's no snow on the roof, but it's extremely cold here. 3° Is there anything I should be doing about this? Is there someway to prevent it?

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 03, 2018
    I believe that you may have an insulation issue. I would contact a professional to get their opinion as there may be other factors you are not aware of.

• SandyG SandyG on Jan 03, 2018
    What's happening is that warm, moist air from inside your house is seeping into the attic and the moisture is condensing and freezing on the cold steel. And yes, you should do something to stop the seepage because it can reduce the effectiveness of your insulation and encourage mold growth.
    There are three steps to solving this problem. First, seal off any openings for air to leak into the attic. Maybe a bathroom fan isn't venting outside or the pull-down attic stairway needs weatherstripping or the light-fixture boxes aren't sealed. A home-energy specialist with a thermographic imaging device can pinpoint many small leaks you can't see.
    Second, try reducing moisture levels in the house by turning on exhaust fans when bathing and vent fans when cooking.
    Third, make sure the attic is well ventilated so that any moist air that gets past your defenses has a way to escape. Soffit and ridge vents are more effective ventilators than fans, and they don't use any energy. If you already have these vents, make sure they aren't being blocked by insulation. (From article in This Old House)

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jan 03, 2018
    Heat rises and probably takes the moisture from the house to the attic where it freezes. You may want to look at some venting for your roof such as turbine fans.

GOOGLE turbine attic vent fans...there are all kinds.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Jan 04, 2018
    Sounds like you could use with some insulation-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMPztvDUpjg