Asked on Feb 25, 2017

How can I get set screw out of my faucet handle... Help!

by Cali
I have a Delta faucet in my bathroom. It is not calcified in there just has no more insides because it is so stripped. Any ideas?
  10 answers
  • William William on Feb 25, 2017

    The only solution is to drill it out. Start with a 1/8' drill bit and drill slowly so you don't go too deep and hit the stem. Its hardened steel so it will take time. You may need to step up in drill bit size after using the 1/8" bit. Once its drilled out tap the faucet handle lightly with handle of a screwdriver to loosen it and pop it off.

  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 25, 2017

    I agree, youre going to have to fish it out with a drill. good luck!

  • Cali Cali on Feb 26, 2017

    Thanks but I tried that. Looks like I will have to buy new facets, very frustrating.

  • Cali Cali on Feb 26, 2017

    Thanks William, I will give it another try using your instructions. I have two faucet in the bathroom and both have stuck set screws in the hot water, both are dripping. Did call a plumber and he said they would just have to ruin the faucets to get it out, so your advice is appreciated. Thanks again so much.

  • Sally-Charles Evans Sally-Charles Evans on Feb 27, 2017

    I hope you realized that the screws in faucets are not flat or Philips...they are fit for Allen wrenches..

  • Cali Cali on Feb 28, 2017

    Yes I do know that, but thanks for checking. I have tried every size Allen wrench and none will grip at all. That's how I got to this point.

  • Claude Claude on Mar 02, 2017

    Is it a metric size Allen wrench? Ck wthe manu, they can tell you. I messed around w my weedwacker until I realized that it was metric...

  • Cali Cali on Mar 03, 2017

    I did check with Delta and had the correct sized Allen wrench, but the set screw was not catching it or any size. Thanks for trying to help.

  • Scubadoo Scubadoo on Apr 27, 2022

    For a Delta Monitor 1400, try a 3/16" left-hand drill bit. The drill bit will be long enough to clear the handle and the bit OD will be small enough that it won't damage the threads in the setscrew hole. With the drill in reverse (the cutting direction for LH drill bits), use short, slow speed burts and check regularly to see if the setscrew has loosened. Be careful not to drill through the brass stem on the cartridge. This worked for me and the handle and setscrew were reusable. Also, for leaking at the spout, consider replacing the seats and springs inside the cartridge instead of the whole cartridge. This could save you lots of money.

  • Scubadoo Scubadoo on Apr 27, 2022

    Sorry, just noticed that you were referring to sink faucets. Same advice applies about using a LH drill bit although the OD might be smaller than 3/16". If the faucet is leaking at the spout, replacing the springs and seats should stop the leak. If it's leaking around the handle, then a new cartridge is required unless you can find replacement o-rings.