How do I plum this filter so I can back flush it

+1
q how do i plum this filter so i can back flush it
  • Ken Ken on Dec 28, 2017
    Isn't this a replaceable cartridge type of filter? If the system was not designed to be cleaned by back-flushing, what can you hope to gain?

1) shut-off valve after the filter
    2) shut-off valve before the filter
    3) new pipe to supply pre-filter water to the filter outlet side before the shut off valve. Needs a shut-off valve in the line
    4) drain pipe, with a shut-off valve, between filter and shut-off valve on the inlet side.

• Dick Hullfish Dick Hullfish on Dec 29, 2017
    That's a whole house filter. Shut down the supply and change the filter.

• Rena Noele Rena Noele on Dec 29, 2017
    Is that a water softener crystal tank in the back, center of the photo? The slim one to the left of the large galvanized tank?

I'm always wiling to tackle straightforward plumbing projects, but if this is part of a water softener system, you'd better find manuals hidden around your home, or look for them online.

• William William on Dec 29, 2017
    I agree with Ken. Shut the supply, unscrew the canister, and replace the filter media. It wasn't designed to be back-flushed. Once the filter is dirty no way to properly clean it.