How do I unthaw frozen water pipes?

+3
  • Amanda Amanda on Jan 04, 2018
    Hi Harry. You can use a hair dryer or get a space heater going by the pipes. You have to be careful in case the pipe has burst. Thawing it could flood your home. Check out this link for more information. https://www.consumerreports.org/home-maintenance-repairs/how-to-keep-pipes-from-freezing/

• Dfm Dfm on Jan 04, 2018
    portable heater in front of them, heat tape. hair dryer.

• Vondie Vondie on Jan 04, 2018
    I had to use my electric hair dryer one winter, and agree with Amanda. I can suggest you may need to bundle up, apply heat to main valve outside your home until pipe thaws, which you'll know it's thawed when water spurts out of your faucets indoors, then wrap outdoor pipe with any insulation you can find or make to use in a pinch. I wrapped old towels and plastic bag around pipe until I could get to store for water-pipe insulation. Just be very careful. Best of luck.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 04, 2018
    I always used a bunk house heater in front of the frozen pipe, but did it indoors with pipes in the basement of a totally unfinished basement in a turn of the century house we were renting. I used to heat strips on the water pipe to the washer, a small heater behind the washer for the water pipes in the machine and a bunkhouse heater for the sewer pipe that drained the washtubs that the washer drained into.

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 04, 2018
    I lived in an 1800s log house in the Rockies that had copper piping, we would get under the house and use a propane brazing torch run quickly up and down the pipe with interior faucets turn on. A heat gun would work too. Just keep it moving. Then apply heat tape to your pipes, and foam insulation sleeves, and be sure to insulate outside faucets. I wrap my exterior faucets in old fleece sleeves and then put those extra large margarine/yogurt containers over top. I would let your faucet drip at night.