How to remove broken bath tub stopper?

Mary Slutz
by Mary Slutz

I have a broken bath tub stopper it is the piece of metal that connects the drain switch to the stopper and I can not get it out?

The broken part is bronze color and can not get out of opening so unable to drain tub

  7 answers
  • Pat Pat on May 28, 2019

    Good luck. I have never seen a bathtub drain like that. My bathtub drain stopper is solid and moves up and down with the switch. Check with a plumbing supply store.

  • William William on May 28, 2019

    If it's still connected to the actuator handle it's probably just jammed. Spray some WD40 liberally down where the handle screws to. Let it soak for a while. If it's not connected you will need a coat hanger wire and fish for it down the opening. Hopefully you will hook on to it.

  • Diane Coverdale Diane Coverdale on May 29, 2019

    Do you know the manufacturer of your tub's draining assembly? They may have a on-line contact ( phone number or email address) or an FAQ section.

    Does your tub area have an accessible area behind the faucet/ tap wall for plumbing? If your house is old, this maybe a "picture framed piece of board about 1' wide x 2' high" on that opposite wall or in a linen closet.

    If you do, those parts maybe accessible from there and give you a better way to repair it, and if there are additionnal parts you didn't know about.

    I hope that helps!

    Good luck!

  • Leslie Leslie on May 29, 2019

    I have to change my stopper assembly and yours looks just like the one I have, Including the perforated drain cover. Go to Home Depot I have seen them there. Bring your old one with you so that they can help you. I am pretty sure they can order one to match yours. My problem is one of the screws that holds the stopper cap onto the wall of the tub broke off because it was so rusted and I am trying to get the part left in the screw hole out.

  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on May 30, 2019

    Remove the 2 screws on the overflow cover plate for the lever and set aside. Then, you'll want to send something down there to hook the plunger attachment and pull it back up. Read about how others fished it out:

  • Tedward Tedward on May 30, 2019

    Firstly,check for an access panel on the opposite side of the wall from where your taps and drain are located. If there is an access to the plumbing, you may have to drill out the screws in the cover. You may have to replace the whole assembly. Get a price from a plumbing shop. It may not be worth the headache to do it yourself if you don't have the tools.

  • Mogie Mogie on Sep 10, 2023

    Unscrew the knob on the top of the drain stopper to see if there is a set-screw underneath. If your drain stopper has a set-screw, use a small screwdriver or a hex key to unscrew it. Twist the entire stopper counterclockwise until it pulls free from its mounting post. Remove the mounting post using pliers.