Leak from an unusual spot?

+14

I even tried plumbers tape. This is a brand new hose. I even tried swapping out the O ring with another new one. I under AND over tightened to try for a good fit. I'm almost pulling my hair out over this!

q leak from an unusual spot

Leak can be seen between the male and female thread

• Jeanne Jeanne on Jun 07, 2020

try using more plumbers tape make it thicker

• John Williams John Williams on Jun 07, 2020

Yea, I tried more tape too. Still leaking. It shouldn't be a thread issue, though. The 'O' ring nests on top of the male threaded pipe and creates the seal.

• Janice Janice on Jun 07, 2020

Since you mentioned your home is brand new, you should have some sort of warranty on it. Have you contacted the builder?

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Jun 07, 2020

Is the male part damaged at all?

I rubbed my finger over the top of the pipe fitting but it doesn't appear damaged. You can see in the photo that there's another setup for the cold line. No issues there. This is just mind boggling.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 07, 2020

Hi John: Yeah, it can be a mess. Where, exactly, is the drip coming from? You may need a new washer as the existing one could have a small tear or a dip in it. If you can get a rubber one, that would be good. Have you tried sanding away any particles away that may be clinging to either piece? Or, you say you've used 'plumbers tape'. Is this the same as Teflon tape? A lot depends on the way you put it on. You start at the top and go the way the fitting is going to screw on, and then go 1/2 way down and then the rest of the way. A couple of wraps is all you really need. You may have yours on wrong :( Here's a site that shows how to do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7mjyzfB9Ec Good luck

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Jun 07, 2020

The only other thing I can think of is that, for some reason, the threads aren't compatible and it's a manufacturing flaw. Any chance of returning one or both hoses? If you don't have the receipt, they should be able to be exchanged. If they won't do that, buy a new set, take that receipt and the old set back and get a refund :) But, they really should exchange them for you. Good luck

Female part of the hose should have a rubber washer. Maybe this is what you mean by O ring. Normally O rings go over a male fitting or shaft. Washers go between male and female parts of a hose connection. Washer is 1st line against leaks and teflon tape is final line of defense. I hope you didn't misshapen the hose connection by applying too much pressure with pliers and distorting it.

Yes, this is why I made sure I stated that I over AND under tightened. Still trying to figure it out.

• Seth Seth on Jun 08, 2020

John,

Have you tried switching the hoses temporarily to see what happens? I would also test a new hose to narrow down where the issue is.

• William William on Jun 08, 2020

Is the washer you used flat. Like a washer for a garden hose. Over tightening can distort the connector. Sometimes it's a manufacturers defect. Switch the hoses like Seth suggests. You may need to return the hose for a replacement.

• Jim Cox Jim Cox on Jun 10, 2020

Wrap it the correct direction, never more than two 'laps' and always start two threads back.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Sep 29, 2021

seal is worn out