Asked on Feb 08, 2014

Replacing a Corian Sink with a Farmhouse Sink

by Joe
We have Corian counters which include a double basin sink in our kitchen. One of the sinks has developed a crack which has resulted in a VERY minor, intermittent leak problem (I think it happens when we run the dispos-all).
In any event, my wife sees this problem as a reason to get her Hammered Copper Apron Front Farmhouse Style Sink! My problem is a) I don't know if this replacement sink style is possible with the existing cabinetry and Corian counters and more importantly b) What kind of repairman would I call to get a estimate on the work??
  18 answers
  • Moxie Moxie on Feb 08, 2014
    This will be a touchy one I think. You need to contact a solid surface fabricator/cabinet/millwork shop (most do all three). I believe they will need to remove the top to cut out the section for the new sink- it may be possible to do in place but would be super messy with all the dust. Your base should work, but you will need to cut out the top panel and possibly reinforce the cabinet depending on how it is made for the apron to fit (I think those farmhouse sinks come with a template to cut the cabinet out) and finally, you will need to place reinforcement in the cabinet to hold up the sink..and of course the plumbing disconnections, probably slight rework and reconnection and if you have a disposal..that to as the chances of the bottom of the sink/drain holes being exactly the same are slim I would suspect.Just my thoughts...
  • Hamtil Construction LLC Hamtil Construction LLC on Feb 09, 2014
    Hi Joe, Great question about the sink. If you search images online of farmhouse sinks, you will find that many of them install below the countertop. Basically, the edge of the countertop at the sink would either be exposed, or it would finish tightly butting against the side of the sink if you use a sink style that raises up higher than the countertop. Given that A) modifying a countertop in place so that you have an exposed finished cut is extremely difficult, and B) corian is not solid all the way through (it has a particleboard core), I would say this idea is only somewhat feasible. Corian can be refinished in the field, so maybe a fabricator could add finished material around the sink cut, but I'm not sure. What would be more feasible is to install a new sink that has a flange, or rim (some called self- rimming), as that would easily cover a cut in the countertop. There are a few farmhouse sinks that have a self rimming flange. If you call the corian fabricator to inquire, you might also ask about having the sink repaired as an option. They might be able to, since Corian can be refinished. If you proceed with the farmhouse sink, I would ask the corian fabricator to refer you to a qualified remodeler or carpenter to work with for the modification.
  • DeeDee DeeDee on Feb 09, 2014
    I don't know if this will help or not, but here's the link to how we installed our farmhouse sink. Good Luck!
  • Bernice H Bernice H on Feb 09, 2014
    You might ask @KMS Woodworks
  • Wanda.ll Wanda.ll on Feb 10, 2014
    I would call corian and tell them first about the problem. See what they say they may make it good save you time and money. This isn't suppose to happen to their stuff I don't think.Unless you just want to spend the money and get replacement sink.
  • Patti Patti on Feb 10, 2014
    Corian does crack under certain extremes boiling water used with a food disposer causes issues since temp plus high frequency of motor.. saw this before. i would check warranty on both. also your sink cabinet would allow the farm sink if you cut off the front plate and reinforce it . Suggest that u use the lighter weight metal instead of cast ceramic over iron. Inside the cabinet you want to follow the sink manufacturers instructions seen on site and site and you tube. I was told by cabinetmaker that you would reinforce the base cabinet add wood supports from left to right and place 1x2 cut to fit the inside corners to bear the weight of sink water and dishes
  • Joe Joe on Feb 10, 2014
    Patti, Thank you so much for the explanation of the likely cause of the crack. I doubt it is still under warranty (built 12/2005) as I am the second owner and bought it from the bank after foreclosure. Several years back I likely would have tried the work, but now have a bad back and arthritis, and my fine motor skills for the precision cut in the existing counter to properly fit an apron front, very probable rimless sink are diminished! Would you recommend a plumber or a cabinet maker for the job?
    • Barb Burnham Barb Burnham on Feb 19, 2015
      Use a licensed General Contractor so he can pull from his talented workers as needed.
  • Liliana Wells Liliana Wells on Feb 10, 2014
    If I had a Corian sink, I would do everything to keep it. You may ask Home Depot for a contractor in your area to see if it could be repaired. This is not a DIY project. As for the farmhouse sink, sorry I am not a fan. Good luck. Let us know what you decide and post pictures
  • The corian or solid surface sink can be repaired. So that is one option. They make special adhesives that will fill, seal and blend any color that they sell. Only its very very expensive product. also the tool to install or apply this is costly as well. So a pro needs to be brought in and let them fix this for you. As far as cutting out and installing a farm sink. Corian can be cut using sharp tools and shaped using carbide router bits.
  • Mcgypsy9 Mcgypsy9 on Sep 03, 2014
    Check Angie's can actually find out a lot on their!! Who to hire and for what kind of work!
    • See 3 previous
    • Mcgypsy9 Mcgypsy9 on Feb 24, 2015
      @Woodbridge Environmental Hmmm well I thank you for your imput and I WILL take the time and effort to do some researching on them again. It has been quite a while since I had done that research and things just might have changed! Thank you for your interest regarding this matter. Also know that we still have Mike Holmes on our side : )
  • Wanda.ll Wanda.ll on Sep 04, 2014
    I still think is is under warranty. I think it is life time due cost but not sure. Please check with them first. Might save you loads of money.
  • Suzanne Lawson Suzanne Lawson on Sep 07, 2014
    Corian has a 10-year warranty but it is non-transferable. You would need documentation for a repair under warranty. You can contact DuPont (the manufacturer) for the name of a local, certified Corian fabricator who can assess the damage and give you an estimate for repair. The number is 1-800-426-7425 As to the sink, It will be next to impossible to find an apron front sink that will work with a standard sink base cabinet. The false drawer panel and top rail of the cabinet will have to be removed to accommodate the apron front and even then, you have only about 6 inches to work with. Most apron front sinks require 8 - 10 inches, The cabinet face frame would have to be rebuilt and the lower doors modified by a custom cabinetmaker. Then you would have to have your Corian certified fabricator come out and cut and finish the countertop to accommodate the new sink. If you know who manufactured your cabinets, you could see if they make a cabinet specifically for apron front sinks in your size, or you could try to order smaller doors and a 6" filler and have someone rework the frame to accommodate the sink she wants. Bear in mind that the new material will ot match the original because wood naturally changes color as it ages. Realistically, you are looking at a cost of $1000-1500, depending on the price of the sink.
  • Barb Burnham Barb Burnham on Feb 20, 2015
    We are fix up/flippers & fix/rent. All of our crews were by word of mouth (realtors, others in our investment group, and other reputable folks in the industry. Been in business in Tucson 5 years.
  • Joe Joe on Feb 20, 2015
    Thank you to all of commenters, but after not being able to find a workman willing to come out and do a small job, we decided to replace the counters, and install a new double basin 70/30 heavy gauge SS sink. FWIW, we are members of Angie's List and used it to purchase the granite and have it installed. This one experience MORE than paid for the Angie List subscription cost as the vendor could not have been more professional or reasonably priced. The Corian sink problem has been resolved! :o)
  • Eric Blaise Eric Blaise on May 13, 2015
    It might be a pain, and you might be better off filling in the crack in the Corian sink (if it is a small crack that produces an intermittent leak, it is repairable) If your wife is bound on getting a farmhouse sink, be ready to pay for a custom job, that will end up costing you a lot more than you bargained for. Eric |
  • Pat whitmus Pat whitmus on Oct 06, 2015
    As to the 8 to 10 inches can build up the counter 1 inch where the sink sits in order to fit it in and place border tiles around the sink to give a nice finished edge.
  • Sho6320005 Sho6320005 on Jul 13, 2016
    We ended up doing exactly what you are talking about, replaced the sink with a drop in farmhouse sink, the company that did it installs countertops and was very reasonable, was very careful with the counters, cut out the old sink dropped in and finished the new and recaulked everything, turned out great, we started with crack in the sink also.
    • Tanya Tanya on Jul 22, 2016
      Hi there, who worked on your sink? I am looking for someone who can cut the sink out and install a new one. Thank you in advance!
  • Sho6320005 Sho6320005 on Jul 22, 2016
    We are in Arizona and I will try to find the company name, but my understanding is any counter installer can do it, they protect the counter and take it out with a saw, the only thing that was any drawback was it is dusty when they do it but it take about 3 hours. I will look for installation name when I get home.