How can I replace horrible sliding closet doors with hinged doors?

Can't stand the mirrored sliding doors that came on all the closets in my apt. I'd like to create standard double open-out from the center hinged doors, without having to hire a pro. Help!

  4 answers
  • Sharon Sharon on Sep 11, 2017
    Unless you own that apartment I wouldn't unless you get it in writing from management its ok. You can put non-adhesive decorative window film on them that won't damage them, check on Amazon they have a ton of colors, designs etc

    • Allison Aab Allison Aab on Sep 11, 2017
      Its more that with the sliding doors I can't access all of the inside of the closet easily, than how it looks. I want doors that open completely so I can really access all the shelves and rods inside.

  • Before you do anything in your apt, if you are leasing, you had better check with the landlord. You don't want to spend money and then find out you can have your security deposit back later.

  • Allison Aab Allison Aab on Sep 11, 2017
    I am an owner so happy to make whatever changes necessary :)

  • Pat Pat on Sep 11, 2017
    I am thinking you will need a carpenter for those kind of doors. Will you have room in your bedroom to open doors like this? Meanwhile you could do two things.....take the doors off completely and put a curtain up if you want, OR put something on the mirrors to cover the mirrors, like wood looking contact paper, window film or check around at some stores for suggestions..

    • Allison Aab Allison Aab on Sep 11, 2017
      Yeah I'm figuring I'll have to get a pro in, I was just hoping to find someone who has done it before themselves and tackle it that way :(